Hello...new hiker here.

Introduce yourself to the group! We welcome novice and expert alike! We especially love hearing from those new to Portland and those new to hiking
gflemin3

Hello...new hiker here.

Post by gflemin3 » May 19th, 2018, 1:22 pm

Hi Everyone,

I am relatively new to hiking. I tend not to have this as the first thing I tell people but it is kinda the point of the post. I currently have an LVAD (heart pump) implanted and I am also on the heart transplant list awaiting the magical call. Does anyone know of any hikes that have good cell reception? I have AT&T. I have only been hiking for a short while but do not want to stop. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks.

p.s. I should have mentioned that within an hour or so from Salem would be great.
Last edited by gflemin3 on May 19th, 2018, 3:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.

retired jerry

Re: Hello...new hiker here.

Post by retired jerry » May 19th, 2018, 2:08 pm

gflemin3

Post by gflemin3 » May 19th, 2018, 3:14 pm

Thanks Jerry, that is helpful. Looks like there are few different hikes in the same area.

squidvicious

Post by squidvicious » May 19th, 2018, 5:02 pm

You might be interested in Take a Walk Portland. You can get the book or ebook from Multnomah County Library https://multcolib.bibliocommons.com/ite ... 3440179068

It's full of trails and paths almost all within the city and surrounding suburbs. The primary focus is more "nature walks" than what you may think of as hiking, though there's a good variety. If what you're after is exercise and nature without overstraining yourself or traveling too far from the city, that might a good one to take a look at.

gflemin3

Post by gflemin3 » May 19th, 2018, 5:28 pm

Thank you...this is helpful. It makes sense that a lot of folks would want Portland hikes. I however live in Salem but I am more than happy to make the trek up.