Lifelong hiker, been in Oregon about 2 decades

Introduce yourself to the group! We welcome novice and expert alike! We especially love hearing from those new to Portland and those new to hiking
Dorkvania

Lifelong hiker, been in Oregon about 2 decades

Post by Dorkvania » October 5th, 2017, 11:10 pm

Hi all! Longtime hiker and user of this site. Just joining the forums today and hoping to get involved a bit. I keep meaning to hit up the places you need photos of for the wiki, but life keeps getting in the way.

I've been doing a lot of solo hiking this past year, because I have trouble finding people who actually want to get out and hike. I am hoping to find some people to hike with, as solo hiking isn't always the safest thing.

I love photography. One of my current projects is to photograph all the places people drive past when they go to Mt. Hood. I've been photographing Barlow Wayside, Wildwood Recreation Site and the like. If you are curious, I've put links to my photography in my sig. Hopefully, I will be updating that with two more sites, soon. I am working on a personal site and also writing for a photography blog starting soon.

I am currently working on get back into better shape for hiking and snowshoeing. I've made good progress, but have a bit to go.

In the past year I've hiked or snowshoed at The Grand Canyon, Glacier National Park and Olympic National Park. I've been meaning to do Naked Falls. I can't believe it's October and I still haven't been out there. I have some plans to snowshoe in the Deschutes in January.

texasbb

Re: Lifelong hiker, been in Oregon about 2 decades

Post by texasbb » October 6th, 2017, 6:39 am

Welcome! I like your photo style--a nice break from the over-corrected scenic caricatures that are so common these days.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » October 6th, 2017, 6:50 am

welcome, yeah, Wildwood is worth a stop, especially if it's too snowy further along and you want a walk, and up Boulder trail

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » October 6th, 2017, 8:53 am

"a strange fondness for sleeper car rail travel..."

Us too! US by Train March 2017

Dorkvania

Post by Dorkvania » October 6th, 2017, 4:48 pm

texasbb wrote:Welcome! I like your photo style--a nice break from the over-corrected scenic caricatures that are so common these days.
Thanks! I try to be very light-handed with corrections and capture the feeling of actually being there.
VanMarmot wrote:Us too! US by Train March 2017
Awesome! I've been wanting to do the California Zephyr. I've been thinking about a trip, but I've done a lot recently.