Hello From The SF Bay Area

Introduce yourself to the group! We welcome novice and expert alike! We especially love hearing from those new to Portland and those new to hiking
[email protected]

Hello From The SF Bay Area

Post by [email protected] » August 4th, 2017, 6:09 pm

In January we bought a house in Terrebonne (on Crooked River Ranch) that will be used as a second home. So I'll be in the Deschutes/Ochocho area from time to time and would like to back pack in that area.

I've been backpacking for about 40 years mostly in the Sierra Nevada. My preference is is for near timberline elevations (around 10000 feet in the Sierra) because the vistas are better. I'm older and a bit slower but I get there.

After perusing Meetup backpacking groups I organized my own, Bay Area Very Small Group Backpackers with the sole objective of no more than 4 people in a group. The group has about 750 members now.

Some of my most pleasurable hikes were the Bibbulmun Track in Western Australia, at 600 miles a true long distance track which I really liked. Other spectacular hikes have been the Kepler and Routeburn Tracks in New Zealand. The Te Araroa in NZ and the PCT both appeal to me, but I haven't taken the plunge.

Equipment-wise, I go lightweight but comfort gets an edge.

Thank you for having me. Hopefully I will meet some of you.

bobcat

Re: Hello From The SF Bay Area

Post by bobcat » September 19th, 2017, 4:22 pm

Scrolling through here, I see no one else has welcomed you, so I thought I would. Bibbulman Track - hmmm - I had to look that one up. Did one of those circumnavigations of the Australian continent in the mid-80s (in a 17-year-old Holden I purchased in Sydney), and Western Australia was my favorite state . . .

retired jerry

Re: Hello From The SF Bay Area

Post by retired jerry » September 19th, 2017, 5:06 pm

Terrebonne - are you into rock climbing?

Deschutes/Ochoco - I like to escape the dreary moldery perpetual rain on the west side. Maybe I'll see you walking around somewhere...