Hi All! I could use help!

Introduce yourself to the group! We welcome novice and expert alike! We especially love hearing from those new to Portland and those new to hiking
ManOfOregon

Hi All! I could use help!

Post by ManOfOregon » April 26th, 2016, 11:22 pm

Hi there!

Confession time: I have never been backpacking....
But I am determined to go as much as I can this summer!
I am from the northern end of the Willamette Valley and really want to explore the whole state!
I am working on putting together an low cost setup and have found myself drawn to the idea of ultralight. However that is slightly undermined by the fact that I love my hammock and really want to use that as my sleep system.

I hope everyone can give me some tips and some recommendations for hikes!

Speaking of recommendations: I am trying to plan a 3 day hike for me, my sister, and my dad to do in the middle of June. Any recommendations? I was thinking the Wilson River Traverse (http://www.oregonhikers.org/field_guide ... verse_Hike) hike but the more I look into it the more I see that the elevation looks killer and while my family and I are "fit" I don't think we are that "fit". Any thoughts on this?

Anyway I am really looking forward to being part of this community and getting out and exploring our great state!

kaltbluter

Re: Hi All! I could use help!

Post by kaltbluter » April 28th, 2016, 10:57 am

ManOfOregon wrote:I have never been backpacking.
I'd strongly suggest that you do a few over-nighters with all your gear just a few miles from the trailhead. It will give you a chance to evaluate what works and what needs replacing. It would suck to discover on day one of a three day hike that something in your kit isn't working they way you'd planned.
ManOfOregon wrote:I am working on putting together an low cost setup and have found myself drawn to the idea of ultralight.
There's lots of discussion about ultralight stuff all over the internet so I'll put this link here and leave it at that.

I'll leave the recommendations up to the Portland area dwellers. I'm not too familiar with anything North of Mt Jefferson.

biketowork

Post by biketowork » April 28th, 2016, 2:52 pm

Kaltbluter has some good advice. Make sure everyone tests out their gear with a few shorter in-out hikes/overnights that are easy to bail on if your gear isn't working the way you expect.

Here are a few backpacking places you may want to try out (milage according to my GPS):
Burnt Lake (about 7.5 miles in and out) - Nice warm weather trip on a quiet trail; things may be busier with better road now
Jefferson Park (about 13 miles in and out) - Awesome views, can be a multi-day trip if you add on some of the PCT or other trails
McNeil Point (about 10.6 miles in and out) - Late summer hike, spectacular views of Mt. Hood

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » April 29th, 2016, 12:29 pm

website about backpacking http://www.backpacking.net/

McNeil and Jefferson Park probably too snowy in June, maybe July or August

Something in gorge like Herman Creek or Tanner Butte would be good