Australian hiker visiting in September

Introduce yourself to the group! We welcome novice and expert alike! We especially love hearing from those new to Portland and those new to hiking
Peder

Re: Australian hiker visiting in September

Post by Peder » February 9th, 2016, 11:06 pm

I second Karl on the Coldwater Peak from Johnston Ridge Observatory, it is one of the most fantastic spots I know around here!

This picture was taken yesterday from within about 800 metres of Coldwater Peak whilst doing a loop on snowshoes. Mt St Helens is the "crater" in the background; in 1980 it exploded and lost its conical (volcano) shape and 400 meters in height. Trees covered the area where this picture was taken, but the explosion blew them away, note the stumps sticking out of the snow! If you do the longer loop recommended by Karl, you have a good chance of seeing elk.

Another spot not to miss is the coast, this is my version for 12 year olds. I would be happy to come up with recommendations for adults!
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

ofuros

Post by ofuros » February 9th, 2016, 11:55 pm

As a alternative, instead of returning to a hotel base...perhaps rent a Fire Lookout for one night,
its on my to do list when i visit Oregon with my young family.

http://www.firelookout.org/lookout-rentals.html
Mountains view are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/

Tinawin

Post by Tinawin » February 10th, 2016, 3:08 pm

Thank you Arturo for your hiking suggestions, I looked at Larch Mountain trail for details and looks awesome but at 14.4 miles I feel too long with a baby along for the ride. I hope to do the Multnomah-Wahkeena Loop trail at 4.9 miles & hope this will satisfy our needs for spectacular waterfall views. If Peter & I were on our own we would love to do your suggestion. Definitely Mt St Helens on our to do list but will do the shorter Harry's ridge at 8 mile return. Still concerned about baby so someone can return back with baby and enjoy the tourist display and cafe while we hike to the end point and enjoy the uninterrupted view of the volcano crater & blast zone.

Thanks Peder for the gorgeous photo of Mt St Helens and suggestion to see the Oregon coastline as well, wish I had a month to enjoy all your state has to offer but not the case, very hard to accept only seeing a few highlights.

I have now cut out our trip to Timberline & opportunity to hike some of the PCT above the lodge. Daughter suggested we were doing too much nature and she would like to balance with seeing downtown Portland. Always important to compromise when planning itinerary. We will be visiting Mt Rainier before arriving in Oregan areas so I must be content with the amazing list of natural landscapes we will encounter during our 7 days available before we fly to Anchorage to commence an Alaskan cruise.
I would love to send in a trip report after visiting your part of the world and experiencing just a little of what is available to you in beautiful Oregon & Washington.

Peder

Post by Peder » February 11th, 2016, 12:12 pm

Tinawin wrote:Definitely Mt St Helens on our to do list but will do the shorter Harry's ridge at 8 mile return.
That is also a perfect destination! The trail follows the ridge in the middle distance on my photo and the summit is off the picture to the left. If you arrive early, do the hike first. If you arrive after 10 am, the visitor center is open and the movie about the eruption is well worth watching before you go out on the hike.

If some people wish to do more hiking, the approx. 4 mile trail from the visitor center to the Hummocks trail head is scenic and offers good chances of seeing elk. Meanwhile, the baby can drive the car down, visit Coldwater Lake and then pick-up the hikers!
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Tinawin

Post by Tinawin » February 26th, 2016, 2:24 pm

I have appreciated all of the suggestions from hikers so far in my quest to capture some great hiking experiences in your part of the world. Another quick question, if I may. Our itinerary has us staying two nights in Columbia river gorge area - question: is Troutdale good to base ourselves for accommodation or is it too far for the best hiking experiences near Multnomah loop etc? Are there any suggestions? I picked Troutdale because we will drive from Johnson Observatory after quite a big day and daughter worried about a long drive with baby. I looked at Bridal Veil Lodge and it appears to be more in the middle of scenic area. I would appreciate any advice.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » February 26th, 2016, 2:28 pm

there's a couple places in Cascade Locks, like Best Western. I think the rooms overlook the Columbia and it isn't hugely expensive.

Lots of places in Troutdale too, that would work

Tinawin

Post by Tinawin » February 26th, 2016, 2:33 pm

Thanks Jerry, if we picked Troutdale how long to get to Mulnomah falls by car and is it a good road?

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » February 26th, 2016, 3:59 pm

Tinawin wrote:if we picked Troutdale how long to get to Mulnomah falls by car and is it a good road?
It's only about 15 miles and all freeway. Twenty minutes, tops.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Tinawin

Post by Tinawin » February 26th, 2016, 6:01 pm

Thank you for your reply kepPNW I appreciate the info and can make good choices now. Normally not this pedantic about details only because we'll have an infant with us we need this level of planning.