Brief Portland trip this August

Introduce yourself to the group! We welcome novice and expert alike! We especially love hearing from those new to Portland and those new to hiking
katoh

Brief Portland trip this August

Post by katoh » July 26th, 2015, 10:49 pm

Hello, everyone!

My name is Katherine, I'm a 22-year-old university student (studying ecology and art), and this August I'll be out visiting Portland for eleven days. I've always wanted to travel to Oregon, and I had a flight voucher that was set to expire soon, so I decided to use it to get to Portland! Unfortunately, that means I haven't planned ahead well.

I'm now trying to figure out how to get around hiking/camping in the surrounding area without a car. Since my flight was paid for, renting a car might not be out of the question, but I'd prefer not to. If any Portlander with a car has some free time, I'd be willing to financially compensate you for drop off/pick up if public transit doesn't cut it.

I was hoping to make it to Cascade Locks and/or Columbia River Gorge, but I am really flexible considering transportation may be limited. Any suggestions or offers would be greatly appreciated!

An important consideration: I have done quite a bit of hiking, some camping, and no backpacking. I've been accumulating gear but probably shouldn't go out too far on my own for my first backpacking experience. That being said, everyone seems so enthusiastic and helpful, so if anyone knows of any group trips or has space on a short backpacking excursion (or has free time and wants to introduce an eager hiker to backpacking), I'm really open to lots of options!

Peder

Re: Brief Portland trip this August

Post by Peder » July 27th, 2015, 2:25 am

Welcome Katherine! I know that there is a great hike you can join on August 29, if you are still around. That said, as you do not provide dates, I have no clue of your availability! Likewise, it could help to say what kind of hikes you prefer: 5 miles, 10 miles, 15 miles, etc.! Check on places like the Hiking Meet-up Group for outings. No matter what, you will have fun!

PS: There are also several good city walks in Portland: Zoo to OHSU and a loop around the riverfront come to mind - the latter comes to quite a respectable distance if you go all the way south to the Sellwood Bridge (15+ miles).
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

miah66

Post by miah66 » July 27th, 2015, 6:43 am

I second Peder's meetup suggestion. There have been several threads recently regarding public transit to Mt Hood and the Gorge. You should have no problem reading them and finding something to work for you. Good luck, enjoy your visit!
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 27th, 2015, 6:52 am

yeah, public transportation to Timberline Lodge would be good, then walk around from there

katoh

Post by katoh » August 12th, 2015, 8:19 pm

Thank you, everyone! Sorry for the belated gratitude; I was finishing a summer program and moving so I was really busy.

I should have included more details about the length/level of what I was looking for, but I didn't realize there were so many options! I'll be taking public transit to Mt. Hood Timberline and doing aome of the trails/loops there. I fond a lot on this site about trails starting at Timberline, so thank you for all of the wonderful resources!

Peder, I would love to join that if I could! Unfortunately I leave on the 23rd. Thanks for letting me know about it, and providing the link for the meet-ups. Hadn't seen those yet!

Flew into Portland today-- everything looked incredible from above. Really wonderful attitudes and friendliness from people here as well. Saw some of the city and will be exploring Forest Park tomorrow. Love it so far!