Old Bald Mountain Trail (Mount Hood)

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
jimsiff

Re: Old Bald Mountain Trail (Mount Hood)

Post by jimsiff » September 29th, 2008, 8:28 am

Monica was a little machine with the loppers. She was having lots of fun cutting away the brush, albeit with the ettention span of a four year old. :lol:

We camped at the top, and the weather was perfect for early fall. After dinner Saturday, we hung out at the viewpoint with hot chocolate, watching Mt. Hood change colors as the sun went down. We made camp just down from the summit towards the Muddy Fork in a little flat spot just big enough for a two man tent. We were just above the top of the big open meadow.

I plan to post a short trip report in a day or two. Thanks again for posting on this little gem. Are there plans to organize a small work party to finish the clean-up job this fall? From the looks of it, it shouldn't take much.
-Jim

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » September 29th, 2008, 12:35 pm

Thanks, Jim. I'm working on a proposal to the USFS to make this a TKO project next summer -- mainly to cut out the logs and clear the remaining brush, but also to do some tread work here and there, and "officially" open the trail again. Hopefully, they'll go for it -- otherwise, it will remain as a nice "lost" trail, with a few logs to step over.

What was your take on alternative campsites on the summit? You can see why the existing site (that had the fire ring) was a little awkward, given that it was in the middle of the trail!

Tom

jimsiff

Post by jimsiff » September 29th, 2008, 2:20 pm

Splintercat wrote:I'm working on a proposal to the USFS to make this a TKO project next summer ... Hopefully, they'll go for it
I hope they go for it too. It's a great little destination for those looking for a short hike or a worthwhile side trip on a longer hike. What do you think of the viewpoint from the top? I love the view and setting, but I wonder whether the FS would deem the viewpoint too small and steep as a "family friendly" destination for casual hikers? If some of the alder and ash were cut away at the top, the view would be accessible from the flat area behind the hillside. Then again, that would be a fairly large alteration to the summit. :?:
Splintercat wrote:What was your take on alternative campsites on the summit? You can see why the existing site (that had the fire ring) was a little awkward, given that it was in the middle of the trail!
I liked our tent site just down from the summit. There was a faint use path a few yards from the fire pit heading towards the Muddy Fork that petered out in a semi-flat area in the trees covered in twigs and duff. After removing the sticks and massaging the duff to take out some lumps, it was a reasonably flat and very soft base for the tent. I saw a few other areas that would be worth considering for small tents. The existing site is awkward, especially if the area is viewed as a potential hiking destination for the public rather than a secret stash known by only a few.
-Jim

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » September 29th, 2008, 3:44 pm

Jim, I think I might have poked around in the are where you camped - I tried to get a view south, but the trees have formed an incredible wall of branches where they abut the meadow. It reminded me of the coast pine thickets at the beach!

I don't think the USFS will have a problem with the viewpoint, as is. I would be interested in installing some strategic rock "steps" (that don't look like steps, since this is just inside the wilderness) as part of the project, though, to make the path down to the viewpoint a bit less of a chute. It's a cool spot - very nice for watching sunsets on the mountain!

Tom

jimsiff

Post by jimsiff » September 29th, 2008, 8:52 pm

Tom,

Yeah, we made our way through the brushy limbs to the meadow. The views of the Muddy Fork and lower Sandy were amazing, as were the views of Mt. Hood. Getting back up was a bit trickier as it's almost a one way street wading through the wall of branches. I had to put Monica under my arm and push my way back through.

I'll post some pics later.
-Jim

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » October 4th, 2008, 1:59 pm

Thanks for the comments, Jim. I've added two hikes to the Field Guide that end at Bald Mountain, including the longer route from Lolo Pass:

Bald Mountain from Top Spur Hike

Bald Mountain from Lolo Pass Hike

Tom

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » July 29th, 2017, 7:40 am

Nice! Finally took the time (7/22) to locate and follow that trail up Bald Mountain. (By my count, it was actually about 120 paces from the Wilderness sign though, not 55 -- were you triple-jump striding, Tom??? ;) )

Also determined that bushwhacking up while on the way down from McNeil isn't the best of ideas. Looking up from the cross-over, it seemed like it'd be a breeze!
    Incredible amount of deadfall on lower west ridge. Easy passage through here.
But a dense "forest" of devils club signaled the wisdom of a rapid retreat, which led me back to taking the standard route up.
    Aborted bush-whack up west ridge.
The trail up was in fine shape, skirting around a few fallen logs along the way, and the only real "obstacles" were the terribly-nasty biting flies. Pay off was worth it. :)
    Nice viewpoint!
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 29th, 2017, 7:51 am

That would be a good place to camp. Close to trailhead, like if you got a late start. Nobody else there even though you're surrounded by lots of people walking around nearby in all directions. You'd have to carry in your water.

Good idea about trying to get there from the cutoff. I'll have to check that out, I just walked up and down on Tom's trail.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » July 29th, 2017, 8:11 am

retired jerry wrote:That would be a good place to camp. Close to trailhead, like if you got a late start. Nobody else there even though you're surrounded by lots of people walking around nearby in all directions. You'd have to carry in your water.
It wouldn't be bad, once those pesky black flies die off. Pausing for more than a few moments, even just to take a photo, was nearly unbearable last week.
retired jerry wrote:Good idea about trying to get there from the cutoff. I'll have to check that out, I just walked up and down on Tom's trail.
Yeah, it seemed perfect for quite a ways, but the brush and (especially) devils club just became more hassle than it was worth as I got really near.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » July 29th, 2017, 10:55 am

Way to necromance a 9 year old thread, Karl. ;)
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased