The almost lost Sedum Ridge Trail

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
K.Wagner

The almost lost Sedum Ridge Trail

Post by K.Wagner » May 7th, 2018, 8:42 pm

I had made several trips up the Rock Creek Rd (CG2000, going north from Stevenson, WA) earlier this spring, and had noticed new trail work at the old Sedum Ridge Trail head. I knew that this trail had been historically unmaintained, (in fact it was so unmaintained, that it took me a long time to even find the old trail head). To get a feel for the shape this trail had fallen to, read Bobcat's notes in the Trail Guide section. So, I was really curious how far this work extended. This last Saturday (5/5) I got the chance to find out.

I drove up the Rock Creek Road to the parking pull out on the river side of the road. There is a new, unmarked trail head about 150 feet back down the road, just past the creek. This new section looks like it was leveled out with a huge rototiller, because there was all kinds of debris embedded in the dirt. (This was certainly not the work of a WTA team!) In about 75 yards, it connects to the original trail.
01-Spring Trail-S.jpg
The old trail is really very clean. Lots of little things growing in it, but nothing that really interferes with progress.
02-Spring Trail-S.jpg
I soon encountered the first of the 2 wild critters I saw on the trail, at this point, I wasn't sure which one of us was moving slower------
04-Slug-S.jpg
Oh, the actual route for the first 3/4 mile has very little in common with the line on the map! Even after that it frequently is not all that close. After about 1 mile, you see the first of many huge snags, undoubtedly the remnants of the Yacolt Burn. These monsters made me feel like I should be extra quiet & reverent as I passed by.
06-Stately Giants-S.jpg
08-Snags-s.jpg
The first 2 miles climb at almost 700 feet per mile, then it drops into a small saddle and the climb continues at a more human rate.

Much of the route is on the back of a shallow ridge, which makes for very pretty scenery.
09-On the ridge-S.jpg
It was through here that I started to see lots of colorful purple flowers, turned out to be Western Anenomes. They seemed to have 2 families, short, roundish pedals with similar leaves, or long skinny pedals with similar leaves.
11-Western Wood Anenome-S.jpg
12-Western Wood Anenome-S.jpg
At around 3 miles, as you traverse a west facing slope, you start crossing a series of gullies. 3 of these have the neatest old log bridges.
14-Log bridge-S.jpg
19-quiet bridge-S.jpg
A couple of gullies have some damage from water rushing down the gully, but there is nothing that will stop anybody. It was in here that I encountered my second wild critter of the day. This one seemed to say:”Out of my way, Bub, or I'll eat you too!”
16-Centipede-S.jpg
At about 4 miles, I had to do a double take! Here was an old sign, out in the middle of nowhere! Turns out it is at the boundary of Washington State & Federal lands. But why?! Who thought it was necessary to haul this wood up this trail (or was it down from the old FR41), so that a few people could see it? Take a moment to read this sign...... this had to have been done by a committee!
21-State Sign-S.jpg
After what seems like forever, the trail intersects the PCT. I turned right, walked about 1/4 mile to a user trail that heads up to the false summit of 3260-South (that would imply that there is a 3260-North nearby, and in fact there is, abut 5 miles NE).
24-3260 approach-S.jpg
The lower area of the mossy slope was covered with avalanche lilies.
28-Avalanche Lilies-S.jpg
I hadn't realized it, but among the botanists, there does not seem to be a definitive agreement about which bloom is an avalanche lily, and which is a glacier lily. There were terms used like “general consensus is”, “also known as”, etc.
As I got higher, the flowers changed to the cute little Western Spring Beauties:
29-Western Spring Beauty-S.jpg
Last edited by K.Wagner on May 8th, 2018, 11:13 am, edited 9 times in total.
Kelly
There is no shortcut to anyplace worth going to.

PM me about the soon to be released:
Skamania 231
"How to really get off the beaten path in Skamania County"

K.Wagner

Re: The almost lost Sedum Ridge Trail

Post by K.Wagner » May 7th, 2018, 8:58 pm

This is one of my favorite viewpoints in all of the South Cascades. The true summit is off to the left, buried in the pucker brush. If you choose to forgo it, I won't tell anyone!
30-3260 False summit-S.jpg
The moss covered dome makes the ideal spot to soak up the views from Indian Heaven, south across the gorge, up to Three Corner Rock.
Looking at Indian Heaven & Mt Adams:
31-Adams, Indian Heaven-S.jpg
Looking SE at Big Huckleberry, Augspurger & Dog Mtn over Sedum Pt
32-Big Huck, Augspurger, Dog Mtn over Sedum Pt-S.jpg
Looking south at Rock Creek Butte, Hood & Greenleaf. That's Cascade Locks on the Oregon side of the river.
33-Hood, Rock Crk Butte, Greenleaf-S.jpg
Looking SW at Greenleaf, Table Mtn & Birkenfeld
35-Greenleaf, Table, Birkenfeld-S.jpg
Looking west at Three Corner Rock
36-Three Corner Rock-S.jpg
Then it was time for the long hike back down.
37-Looking downslope-S.jpg
I just went into a zone, and just quietly moseyed down the trail, just taking in as much of the solitude as I could. I did stop to take a couple of pictures of these pretty little Fairy Slippers. Such detail on such little blossoms!
41-Fairy Slipper-S.jpg
As I was walking along, my mind began to wander, and I started to question why this trail was built in the first place. It was obviously old. Then I thought about the old Mowich Butte Lookout, and thought: Aha, this had to have been the original supply route!” So, when I got home, I got on the historic maps, and looked at a 1915 map, and there it was. So this trail is well over 100 years old! When I tried to look up the history of the lookout, I only found info that said it was built in 1937, and abandoned in the '60's. But there it was on the 1915 map, which would make it one of the earliest lookouts ever built, shortly after the creation of the Columbia National Forest in 1908. For an interesting history, visit Here

Trip numbers: Total distance, round trip: 10.3 miles, total elevation gain: 2,700 feet.

Oh, final note: This has to have been the cleanest & quietest trail I have ever hiked. I did not see one piece of litter the entire trip, not even a bullet ridden PBR can!
Last edited by K.Wagner on May 8th, 2018, 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kelly

Skamania 231

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » May 8th, 2018, 9:02 am

Back in 2010 (TR) it took me 2 tries (with OHers help) to find the start of the Sedum Ridge Trail. After that it was easy going - not dissimilar from what you describe. It looks like someone got tired of those obscure 150' (or of repeatedly missing the TH) and just rototilled their way to where the old trail is obvious. A nice trail which you can use to access Mowich Butte and make a loop using the PCT.

K.Wagner

Post by K.Wagner » May 8th, 2018, 11:08 am

The trail had seen some very recent maintenance. A few of the windfall cuts were fresh enough that the saw dust was still intact on the ground. This trail really does need some boots on the ground to help keep it open, and it deserves it....
Kelly

Skamania 231

pablo

Post by pablo » May 9th, 2018, 6:30 pm

Nice report. There is/was another sign like the one in your photo at the end of the Snag Creek Trail nearby so it must have been a 'thing' at one time - bragging rights or something.

Thx,

--Paul
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Guy

Post by Guy » May 9th, 2018, 6:41 pm

Nice report Kelly, thanks for sharing.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » May 9th, 2018, 7:29 pm

Love to see other abandoned trails getting some use. It is amazing how well many of these well built trails have held up - it is truly a testament to the builders of these trails.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

bobcat

Post by bobcat » May 9th, 2018, 8:15 pm

I last hiked Sedum Ridge in Fall 2013. The trail seems to get logged out fairly regularly, but that's about it. There aren't enough boots on the tread to keep the plants at bay.

I know where your "secret" lookout is, by the way, but I have yet to avail myself of its pleasures . . .

As for the lilies, common names don't mean anything much, but generally glacier lilies are the yellow ones (Erythronium grandiflorum), but they are sometimes called "yellow" avalanche lilies; avalanche lilies are white with yellow (Erythronium montanum).

K.Wagner

Post by K.Wagner » May 9th, 2018, 8:43 pm

I have thought a lot about the guys that built this trail (and others of that era) and am in awe of the work they did. The way they used the terrain was impressive. The first Yacolt Burn fire was in 1902, so it would have possible to visually layout the route, but still, the grade they held over the few miles was really constant. All without GPS!
Kelly

Skamania 231