Dog Creek Canyon, east side

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
Chip Down

Dog Creek Canyon, east side

Post by Chip Down » February 10th, 2018, 8:05 pm

I've been a little ways up Dog Creek Canyon on the west side, as part of an East Ridge ascent of Dog Mountain. Today I wanted to follow the east side all the way from SR14 to the utility road (you've crossed this road to the west if you've done the Augspurger Mt hike from Dog Mt).

At the last minute, I decided it would be smart to park at Jackson Road, the typical start for the Cook Hill hike. I could hike west to Dog Creek, thus avoiding the steep scramble up the east side of Dog Creek Falls. Well, that shortcut actually cost me a lot of time. Oh well, it was interesting and fun, and saved some time at the end of the day.

I never actually got down to Dog Creek, because there were so many opportunities to follow scenic clearings upslope from the creek. That's okay, it was probably more scenic than being way down deep in the canyon.

When I was able to look north into the canyon and see a powerline tower in the distance, it seemed impossibly far off, with nothing but forest along the way. But I never encountered dense brush, and some of the stream crossings and gullies along the way were easily manageable. The terrain and clearings kept leading me higher as I traveled roughly parallel to Dog Creek, until finally I came to a point where I wasn't really in the canyon anymore. From there, I just wandered in whatever direction felt right. I had no sense of where I was or where I needed to go, which was a little unnerving, but I knew nothing could go terribly wrong. I was boxed in: Dog Creek to the west, Cook Hill to the east, powerline road to the north, Columbia River to the south. It would be impossible to get lost.

Eventually I was unable to continue north without a severe elevation loss, so I veered east and started ascending, and soon saw a major clearing through the trees. Hoped for a rockslide or similar, but as I drew closer I realized it was just a brushy zone. As I came closer yet, saw powerlines. Woohoo! Checked the time for the first time all day, and discovered I was 3 minutes away from my self-imposed turnaround time. Amazing luck. Although I didn't realize how late it was, I had been pondering an exit strategy for the last 15 minutes (backtracking was impossible; there was no way I could retrace my steps). I wish I had thought to check my elevation here. It was surprisingly close to Dog Creek. I was thinking I had veered way above my intended route, but I'm guessing I was maybe a couple hundred feet above where Dog Creek passed under the powerlines.

Followed the powerline road up to the Augspurger radio towers. Had planned a long break there, but it was a bit chilly/windy. I've been there twice before, but I've never had visibility, nor have I seen it without snow before today.

After a short break, continued on to Cook summit, where it was much more pleasant (no wind). There was a heavy frost that was melting out, so I got to enjoy the dripping sound from the trees as I basked in the sun, sitting on a rock. Mostly bushwhacked down, just because.

Based on the forecast, and the way the morning went, I was thinking this would turn out to be the warmest hike of the year, but the Aug radio tower saddle was actually a bit nippy, with frost still on the ground (and even a little snow lingering nearby). Still, a very pleasant day overall.

Saw my first tick of the year, then another, and another. Dammit.
Attachments
1.jpg
Legend tells of a chair on Cook Hill. This isn't it (I've seen pictures). Spotted this downhill a ways. Went down to retrieve it and give it a more scenic perch.
2.jpg
This might be the first flower I've seen in the gorge this year. Not certain.
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
in the yellow circle are a couple pixellated smudges that are actually hikers headed up the east ridge of Dog Mt. It wasn't that long after sunrise, so they too got an early start.
6.jpg

Bosterson

Re: Dog Creek Canyon, east side

Post by Bosterson » February 10th, 2018, 10:48 pm

in the yellow circle are a couple pixellated smudges that are actually hikers headed up the east ridge of Dog Mt. It wasn't that long after sunrise, so they too got an early start.
Too bad your picture of us isn't clearer! :)
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

Chip Down

Re: Dog Creek Canyon, east side

Post by Chip Down » February 11th, 2018, 3:34 pm

Bosterson wrote:
Too bad your picture of us isn't clearer! :)
Yeah, I could post a TR on your behalf :lol:
Isn't that a great spot? I gather the normal route follows the creek up a little higher and then bypasses that protrusion. Just judging by what appears to be the clearer trail. Weird. I don't know why people are in such a hurry to get up Dog on such a scenic route.