Route at Duncan Creek Road closed?

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
Sugar Pine

Route at Duncan Creek Road closed?

Post by Sugar Pine » January 21st, 2018, 1:30 pm

We were scoping out some hikes at Duncan Creek road which head to Archer Falls up the powerline road or to WA Russ Jolley up Duncan Creek, according to some OR Hikers posts. We saw a trail where the road crosses the creek, but there was a barrier across the trail and No Trespassing (abbreviated) spray painted on a rock. Any idea why this is so marked and if this is private property?
Also, the gate across the powerline road to Archer Falls was locked.
Attachments
No Trespassing.PNG
BaseCamp view of the closed marker by Duncan Creek.

Chip Down

Re: Route at Duncan Creek Road closed?

Post by Chip Down » January 21st, 2018, 1:48 pm

I'm perplexed by your map. I recognize certain features/names as being consistent with other maps, while other features seem out of place, and names seem odd. Anyway, I think I know what you're getting at. Were you actually planning to drive up the powerline road? It's not a bad walk. I've never done the RJ trail, but was hoping to some day.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » January 21st, 2018, 5:51 pm

There is a small section of private land where that sign is located. To Access the Duncan Cr. trails, you can bypass the private section by heading up the gravel road to the NE about 2/10 mile and there is a trail on public land. That won't get you to Archer though. For that, you head up the power line road. Your map has the power line road mislabeled as Duncan Cr. Road. If the gate is locked, I guess you just have to hike up the power line road. But first check to see if you can lift the chain over the post. I did that last time I was there a couple of months ago. Here is a map.

Here is a broader view:

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Sugar Pine

Post by Sugar Pine » January 21st, 2018, 9:29 pm

Thank you for the guidance. Yes, the map is odd. It shows "Hopkins Road" which isn't there. The map is from my Garmin map software.
Attachments
No Trespassing 2.JPG

beag

Post by beag » February 7th, 2018, 9:38 pm

To add a bit of info to Dons excellent map 6 tenths of an acre is private at the bridge. If you walk up the road a short distance and across from the bus turnaround sign at a little creek there is a trail that bypasses the private land and meets up with the regular trail next to the creek and then you can return on the trail that is 2 tenths of a mile uphill as Don describes it.

When the creek is too high to cross we access the trail from the West side of the creek. A little ways in from steel barrier there is a goat path to your left, follow it for a few minutes to end of fallen log. You will notice a big tree across West Duncan. Cross log and find trail uphill. That trail meets up with old Russ Jolley trail which takes you over to where we usually cross Duncan. RJ trail is ok but you need a bit of trail finding skill to follow it.

When you park make sure you leave room for the school bus to turn around. Several people have got $60 fines. No problem at the weekend.

Sugar Pine

Post by Sugar Pine » April 14th, 2018, 1:33 pm

Last Sunday we hiked from Duncan Creek to Kueffler Road. I checked the gate at the powerline road to Archer. It is definitely locked and the chain can't be lifted over the pole.

We took the advice posted below and parked further up the road at a good pull out. Didn't see a school bus sign, but there was a good path, but then emptied into a clearcut. We reached Duncan Creek, but there as no place to cross. It was raining and the creek was raging. We kept going up on the east side Duncan, at times following some flagging and a path. We reached Cedar Swamp Rd. and followed a path back to Duncan Creek and the bridge. We saw the railcar falls, but we didn't see a railcar. Heading east again, passed through another clearcut, followed the road and continued along old roads, a path with flagging and bushwacking. We found a great log to cross the arm of Woodward Creek, but Woodward Creek and the falls were also raging and we didn't find a place to cross. We continued south, looking for a crossing and heading to where our gps showed the terrain flattening with a backup plan to bail to Scott Rd. There was flagging in this section, although no path. We did find a place to cross and then we headed to "triangle camp" as marked on other posts. This section from the crossing to meeting the trail coming into Kueffler Rd. was nearly all a bushwack. Didn't find any flagging and seldom saw a path. It was a very wet day. Thanks for all the advice. I lost one of my poles on the west side of Woodward, in case anyone stumbles upon it.
Attachments
Duncan - Kueffler.JPG
Our route
Bridge.jpg
Railcar bridge
Crossing.jpg
Looking back out our crossing of Woodward
Woodward Creek 2.jpg
Woodward Creek again

viking

Post by viking » April 18th, 2018, 10:45 am

A couple hints, the bridge that you found over Duncan IS the railcar. Go underneath and look up, you will understand. Where you first hit Duncan is a very shallow crossing and the trail is just on the other side.