Table Mt: east cliff edge (finally, success!)

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
Chip Down

Table Mt: east cliff edge (finally, success!)

Post by Chip Down » December 6th, 2017, 8:19 pm

Very cold/windy, but no clouds, so I finally pulled this off after two rainy-day failures starting from Greenleaf Creek below the falls, and above the falls. Today I decided to try again from above (it was pretty much a toss up, and I still hadn't made up my mind as I was driving up the gorge).

Routefinding went exceptionally well. No mistakes made, all went according to plan. I now realize on my first trip I passed 50 ft from the end of the crack, but couldn't see it. As expected, the cliff edge up high is brushy, and views were generally poor. In fact, I don't think anything above the crack was worthwhile.

Coming down, I just followed a ridge into Greenleaf Basin until it faded, and then vered left (northish) so I wouldn't hit Greenleaf Creek too low. More efficient, I thought. Well, I always suspected Greenleaf Basin was a swampy mess, but damn, it's just terrible. And thick with Devil's Club. I would have saved time descending directly east to the creek, and then following it up, instead of this horrible "shortcut". At least I managed to find an old road on the west side of Greenleaf Creek. It featured some large sheet metal fabrications, but burried under duff, so I haven't a clue what they were.

Once I finally got to the easier east side of Greenleaf Creek, I decided to follow what I think is a RR grade, instead of the main road (which I think is a decommissioned section of CG2020). It was a bit hard to follow, but I kept seeing clues: a sawcut log, a rusty pail, a cable.
Attachments
0.jpg
A bonus crack that I wasn't expecting. Nearly missed it. Dropped in and followed it for a bit. Kinda regret that I didn't follow it all the way to the end. It looked tricky, but probably doable. I think it intimidated me more than it should have.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
One of the most anticipated goals of the day was the lower/east edge of The Crack of the Gods. It didn't disappoint.
4.jpg
5.jpg
Greenleaf slide.
6.jpg
7.jpg
I thought it would be savagely windy up at the top, but the fringe of trees kept it under control for the most part.
8.jpg
Building a snowcave is hard, so I just carried one in my pack.
9.jpg
The ridge I followed from Table summit to Greenleaf Basin. Doesn't get much easier than this.

Peder

Re: Table Mt: east cliff edge (finally, success!)

Post by Peder » December 7th, 2017, 2:27 am

Congratulations!
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

bobcat

Re: Table Mt: east cliff edge (finally, success!)

Post by bobcat » December 9th, 2017, 3:48 pm

Crack of the Gods. It has existed in myth for so long!