misc Dog Mt: Boxer Buttress, Pup Prow, Afghan Arete

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
Chip Down

misc Dog Mt: Boxer Buttress, Pup Prow, Afghan Arete

Post by Chip Down » October 10th, 2017, 7:48 pm

Between Dog's east ridge and Dog Spine is a prominent buttress which I've had my eye on for a while. Picked a nice pullout on the highway and headed up. Took just a few minutes to hit some fun open rocky stuff, but then right back into the forest for a long boring slog. Hit the base of the east ridge cliffs, too far east. Climbed up to the east ridge crest and followed it up to the end, then curved around southwest towards Dog Spine, and dropped to the top of the buttress. Not as hard as I thought it would be. Popping out of the trees onto the grassy landing at the top of the buttress was remarkably similar to the corresponding spot on the top of Dog Spine. This was a neat place, and the sense of solitude was amazing. (How many people visit here in the average year? Maybe 5? Perhaps fewer?) I wish I had ended up on a more direct route, starting at the bottom of the buttress, but I did enjoy revisiting the upper part of the east ridge too, so not a total loss.

Next I found the standard Dog Mountain trail and took the Augspurger loop down. When it enters the forest (very abruptly, you can't miss it) I dropped down a slightly spiny meadow. This disappointed (soon became brushy) but it revealed a nice prow to the west that was hidden from the trail. I cut over and scrambled up to the top, which was broad enough to fully relax and enjoy the scenery.

While working my way up the prow, I spotted a beautiful ridge one over from the prow, featuring grassy ramps/ledges, steep dropoffs, and a jagged crest. Looked like fun, but getting to it would involve crossing a steep deep brushy ravine, so I settled for looping up above the prow and over to the ridge, then dropping down the ridge a little ways. Then back up to the trail and down via Augspurger. It's possible I'll return someday to explore the lower part of that ridge, but it's a lot of work for little reward. I'll park it at the bottom of my list.

Names in my topic title are just for fun, not intended as serious recommendations.
Attachments
1.jpg
One of my favorite spots on the east ridge of Dog. Access is via that obvious slot left of the trees.
2.jpg
At lower left is a little piece of the east ridge. To the right is Boxer Buttress. In the distance, lower, is Dog Spine.
3.jpg
top of Boxer Butress
4.jpg
the tip of Pup Prow
5.jpg
Pup Prow. The tip is very easy to attain from trail, but hidden, and probably rarely visited by humans.
6.jpg
I was excited when I saw this from the prow, but then noticed what a hassle it would be to get over there.
7.jpg
top of Afghan Arete
8.jpg
One of the few spots where you can actually see Afghan Arete. From this side it's rather forested, but still looks interesting on the crest.
9.jpg
Sunset, Wind Mountain

Chip Down

Re: misc Dog Mt: Boxer Buttress, Pup Prow, Afghan Arete

Post by Chip Down » October 10th, 2017, 7:52 pm

bonus pics
Attachments
b1.jpg
From the spot where trail abruptly enters forest, I dropped westish and looked for adventure.
b2.jpg
Yeah, it's a little early for Christmas beers, but it was the only canine-themed brew in my cellar.

acorn woodpecker

Re: misc Dog Mt: Boxer Buttress, Pup Prow, Afghan Arete

Post by acorn woodpecker » October 24th, 2017, 10:45 pm

Nice to see up close photos of these points again. I went up that way some years ago, but my camera battery died shortly into the hike. I, too, visited all these points as one can't help but be drawn to them during the east ridge ascent. I distinctly recall lunching on "Boxer Buttress" with its striking tree.