Dark Creek Falls ~ Diving into the depths!

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
chameleon

Dark Creek Falls ~ Diving into the depths!

Post by chameleon » July 24th, 2017, 8:13 pm

Yesterday, a few buds and I decided to explore Dark Creek, a tantalizing stream hidden up near the headwaters of the Lewis River. After locating the Dark Creek trail (which required driving to a washout, parking, and then crossing another creek), we hiked roughly two miles to where Dark Creek plunges from a stony plateau into the depths of a canyon.

The very top of the falls complex, pouring down from the plateau is fantastic, intricately carved bedrock. Below several short drops, we encountered the uppermost waterfall on the stream, a two-tiered stunner roughly @100 ft tall (total).
Zach-Forsyth-Dark-Creek-Falls-Skamania-WA-1-Looking-down-uppermost-major-falls.jpg
Zach-Forsyth-Dark-Creek-Falls-Skamania-WA-rappelling-down-uppermost-major-falls-1.jpg
A short jaunt downstream, and a few short drops later, we arrived at the top of the stream's crown jewel, Dark Creek Falls.
Zach-Forsyth-Dark-Creek-Falls-Skamania-WA-between-upper-falls-and-main-falls.jpg
Zach-Forsyth-Dark-Creek-Falls-Skamania-WA-upper-tier-of-streams-main-falls-showing-second-drop-below.jpg
Zach-Forsyth-Dark-Creek-Falls-Skamania-WA-rappelling-down-top-tier-of-streams-major-falls-1.jpg
Dark Creek Falls, it turned out was a three-tiered wonder. The top tier poured into a deep pool, from there, the stream turned and poured over a lip, and horse-tailed down an overhang. (Oddly we discovered, that mid drop there was a super deep pothole mid-rappel!)
Zach-Forsyth-Dark-Creek-Falls-Skamania-WA-rappelling-down-middle-tier-of-streams-main-falls.jpg
Then afterward the true fun began.
Zach-Forsyth-Dark-Creek-Falls-Skamania-WA-looking-down-hidden-pool-falls-1.jpg
The bottom tier drops into a deep, dark slot! From above, I initially assumed it would be a straight-forward rappel, perhaps over a lip and onto a rocky beach below. Mid way, I discovered how wrong I was! I was looking down into a deep churning, shadowy pool that then poured through a pinch directly below. It took me some time to decide whether it looked like a safe swim (or whether there might be some hydrolic action that could potentially spin a swimmer under the falls repeatedly). Eventually I felt it looked safe enough, if I could stick to the edge of the pool, and made a go of it. It was deep and wonderful, and by avoiding the main flow (at least at this time of year), it did turn out to be relatively safe swim).
Zach-Forsyth-Shadow-Pool-Falls-Dark-Creek-Falls-lowest-tier-of-main-falls.jpg
Zach-Forsyth-Shadow-Pool-Falls-Dark-Creek-lowest-tier-of-main-falls-2.jpg
After that, the stream turned a gorgeous corner, and ran over more delicious bedrock until we reached the stream's lowest falls, a basalty drop into a deep bowl. Shortly after we found the trail (a hundred yards downstream), and made quick work of the trek out! A great day with some great buds indeed!
Zach-Forsyth-Dark-Creek-Falls-Skamania-WA-bend-below-big-falls.jpg
Zach-Forsyth-Dark-Creek-Falls-Skamania-WA-lowest-waterfall-with-awesome-basalt.jpg
Zach-Forsyth-Dark-Creek-Falls-Skamania-WA-basalt-bowl-below-lowest-falls.jpg
Attachments
Zach-Forsyth-Dark-Creek-Falls-Skamania-WA-Upper-tier-of-streams-uppermost-falls.jpg

Webfoot

Re: Dark Creek Falls ~ Diving into the depths!

Post by Webfoot » July 24th, 2017, 10:16 pm

I am loving these reports. Very beautiful. Thank you.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » July 25th, 2017, 8:19 pm

Even though that's not my idea of a good time, I have to admit it does look fun, especially on a hot summer afternoon.

I have to reveal my ignorance on something: how do you know you won't get trapped half way down?

chameleon

Post by chameleon » July 26th, 2017, 3:15 pm

Thanks Webfoot and Chip Down! Chip - yeah, at least in my case, it's generally a combination of scouting, experience, and being prepared with the right tools (long enough rope, wetsuit if needed, rope bag if needed, etc.). My buddy Nick does carry a Spot device on our trips just in case though!

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » August 4th, 2017, 6:56 pm

What a great find, Zach! Beautiful! It never ceases to amaze me that so many gems like this are still hiding out there in the forest..!

Tom :)