Sorenson Ridge is the worst hike in the Col Riv Gorge

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
Chip Down

Sorenson Ridge is the worst hike in the Col Riv Gorge

Post by Chip Down » June 6th, 2017, 7:53 pm

Sorenson Ridge is a striking* ridge that connects Punchbowl Falls (Eagle Creek) and Benson Plateau. It's the first such ridge you'll encounter when hiking up the EC Canyon, and really the only one that maintains a straight crisp ridgeline all the way to Benson. It's a horrible hike. I list my grievances, in no particular order (some are serious, some are jocular, some will make you wonder):

LONELY
A party atmosphere prevails on Eagle Creek: shouting and raucous laughing, music, alcohol, vaping...and the down side, crying babies, TP everywhere, garbage, tampons, barking dogs, graffiti, etc. None of that on Sorenson Ridge. First person I saw all day was when I got back down to EC trail. I attribute the seclusion to a bit of steep bushwhacking and a very easy scramble up a rocky/cliffy section that curves around the base of the ridge. Get past that and immediately things open up: grass, flowers, moss, oak trees. It was almost surreal to see things change so suddenly.

NO TRAIL
A network of game trails occasionally helped, but mostly I was on my own.

CREST IS TOO HARD TO FIND
Getting to the Sorenson Ridge crest from Eagle Creek was a fun interesting adventure. When I finally arrived from the Tish side, I didn't realize I was about to hit the crest. I'd been fooled before. At that moment I was pleased, but also annoyed that I missed the foot of the ridge. I could see it dropping and curving towards Sorenson Creek. When I reached the oak savanna band, I should have trusted the map and traversed north to meet the foot of the ridge. Compounding my stupidity, on my descent I went right past the point where I had gained the crest in the morning, so I ended up passing into new territory without realizing it. Soon, the crest hit a high point and then dropped too steeply for comfort. Fortunately, at that point I was about at the oak band elevation, so could traverse back towards Tish and hook up with my ascent route.

POISON OAK
Entirely down low, just above Eagle Creek trail. Still, any PO is too much PO.

TOO STEEP, OR MAYBE NOT ENOUGH
Sorenson Ridge leaves the EC trail at about the same elevation as Buck Point, where the Ruckel Ridge route leaves the official trail. The two routes end at the same elevation (and also very close long/lat). But compare the length of the ridges. Sorenson Ridge is much much shorter than Ruckel, and therefore much steeper (on average). It's mostly in that category of "steep enough to be tiring, not steep enough to be interesting".

COMPLEXITY
There were so many changes: changes in pitch and width, changes in flora, etc. There were so many landmarks along the way, that I forgot about some of them. On the descent, I found myself wondering "what's next, that meadow or that spiny section". Surprises abounded, mostly up but sometimes down. I don't like surprises. Give me consistency, like the delightfully boring Viento Ridge.

POOR VIEWS
There were a few openings that provided views, but the EC Canyon isn't that great.

INDISTINCT END POINT
As expected, the ridge just fades into the plateau. There's no satisfaction of getting somewhere. However, as is the case with other ridges that lead to Benson, the transition was short. There was a particular spot where I looked up and saw just the characteristic open forest of the platter, and looking down I could see a faint ridge. So I declared that the end of the route. GPS showed 3670ft. A sensible turnaround point is shortly after a major step at 3320ft, along a crisp crest to a jumbled mossy boulder pile with light brush and some views at 3350ft. From there the route dips to a slight saddle and then continues up through nothing interesting.

NOT ALWAYS EASY TO FOLLOW
Occasionally the crest got somewhat broad and indistinct. Other times it got slightly brushy. When it was both broad and brushy, I didn't fully trust myself to find my way back. I'd guess I set upwards of 20 flags (all removed on the descent). This was mostly between 3350-3670ft.

UNDULATIONS
There were a few drops where I had to sacrifice a few feet of hard-earned elevation. Boo!

WINDY
I only found a couple TRs. They didn't mention anything about the wind. With my black fleece jacket, the descent was just barely comfortable.

MY FEET STARTED HURTING IN THE LAST HOUR OR TWO
(new boots)

TOO MUCH FUN
I was planning on a quick easy descent via Ruckel, but Sorenson Ridge was just too much fun, so I had to descend it too. Dammit.

EQUIPMENT NOTES
There were a few spots where a 50cm axe in each hand would have been nice, but absolutely not worth carrying. A pair of treking poles was completely sufficient.
I carried a rope, but never used it. The scrambly sections were pretty secure, with good solid handholds. On the descent, I mostly took easy bypasses at the tricky spots.

* not so much in person, but it really stands out on the map, quite distinctive
Attachments
SorensonRidgeMap.jpg
start at Punchbowl Falls (lower left), finish at Benson Plateau (upper right).
20170604_064941.jpg
Just getting started, and already a reward for a bit of work.
20170604_065347.jpg
Roughly the same location as previous pic, but looking down. Note the abrupt change from dark dense coniferous forest below, to oaky/grassy above the rock band.

Webfoot

Re: Sorenson Ridge is the worst hike in the Col Riv Gorge

Post by Webfoot » June 7th, 2017, 5:13 am

:lol:

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » June 7th, 2017, 6:04 pm

Nice report! Your always well written TRs are a delight to read.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » June 7th, 2017, 9:10 pm

Don Nelsen wrote:Nice report! Your always well written TRs are a delight to read.

dn
Oh! Thanks. Bosterson says I'm verbose and hard to follow, or something like that. :geek: (I do appreciate all his detailed feedback though.)

Peder

Post by Peder » June 7th, 2017, 9:45 pm

Great trip report - the ridge has been on my radar for a while. Now I am wondering if I should just do Angel's Rest instead!
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » June 7th, 2017, 11:41 pm

Peder wrote:Now I am wondering if I should just do Angel's Rest instead!
Be sure to ask for directions to Multnomah Falls Lodge when you get there!
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » June 8th, 2017, 7:54 pm

You'll know they're an oregonhikers.org reader if they respond "Sorry, can't be done...but I can tell you how to get to Wauna Point, and from there you can get directions to Multnomah Falls".

Peder

Post by Peder » June 9th, 2017, 12:11 pm

Chip Down wrote:You'll know they're an oregonhikers.org reader if they respond "Sorry, can't be done...but I can tell you how to get to Wauna Point, and from there you can get directions to Multnomah Falls".
I have a weakness for Multnomah Falls. Not only do I like to ask for directions to the place when elsewhere; I really love returning from a hike in the early evening and taking my snapshot of the falls in the evening light. Then I will turn to the adjacent guy with his tripod and innocently say: "Be aware, they shut off the waterfall's pumps at 6 pm and that is in 15 minutes." I always get thanked profusely!
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » June 9th, 2017, 2:50 pm

Peder wrote: I have a weakness for Multnomah Falls. Not only do I like to ask for directions to the place when elsewhere; I really love returning from a hike in the early evening and taking my snapshot of the falls in the evening light. Then I will turn to the adjacent guy with his tripod and innocently say: "Be aware, they shut off the waterfall's pumps at 6 pm and that is in 15 minutes." I always get thanked profusely!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller