I discovered Deadwood Point...in a sense

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
Chip Down

I discovered Deadwood Point...in a sense

Post by Chip Down » May 15th, 2017, 8:29 pm

note: my written description might seem hard to follow, but if you want to look at the map posted below, you'll find it all makes sense.

Two things motivated me to visit Deadwood Point (hereafter "DP"):
1. Visual observations. From the Washington side, it's a striking feature that dominates the rugged terrain east of Indian Point. And from Indian Point, although it's slightly blocked by an intermediate ridge, commonly called Deadwood Ridge or Gorton [Creek] Ridge, it still beckons.
2. Map and aerial photos looked promising. Good access, interesting terrain.

I had heard of DP, but didn't know where it was. Truth is, the terrain between Indian Point and Gorton Creek confused and intimidated me. It was only after my hike that I wondered if I had been to DP. Yep, a quick image search confirmed that was it.

Anyway, enough intro; here's my story:

It was drizzly when I started out from Wyeth. But the clouds were high, it was mild, there was no wind. I hoped for the best.

Two hours later, at Indian Point, the clouds had dropped. I had hoped to inspect the terrain to the east again, and firm up my plans. Had also considered going out to the far side (the river side) of Indian Point. Oh well. Continued east on Gorton Creek Trail, past Deadwood Trail and Grays Creek (about 2600'), up switchbacks to the crest of Deadwood Ridge (about 2900'). As I ascended those 300', the rain turned to wet snow.

The ridge was as unmistakable as the map showed. I turned left/north, leaving the trail and following the ridgecrest. It was pretty easy to follow. Not much brush, not too many downed trees, crest mostly well defined. A few spots were a little fuzzy, but no big deal.

The ridge undulates slightly, so it took a while to drop the 150' or so to 2770' where the ridge takes a 45 degree turn to the west. Just like on the map, the ridge here was less distinct; it's more of a cliffedge route than a ridgecrest route. Even though the view was nothing but grey, I stayed close to the edge, just because it seemed more interesting than trudging through the woods to my left. It didn't seem terribly steep, and it was never technically challenging, never even a scramble. Still, whenever I looked back up, I groaned at how steep it was, knowing I'd have to go back up.

At 2000', the map shows the ridge plummets, turn back north, and continues to drop faster than it did in the cliff-edge segment from 2770' to 2000'. I had suspected this would be my turnaround point. At 2000' (2080 on altimeter) my route leveled off and turned west-ish, and it got all jumbled up and brushy to my left and ahead, while still cliffy to my right. Rain picked up. I sought refuge under a big rootball where I had milk and poptarts and weighed my options.

To the west I could hear a little creek. I went that way, crossed over, followed a ridge up to about 2300' until it became less interesting and distinct. Wandered to the west a bit. I knew it was impossible to get lost here, so I was tempted to walk in any random direction until I hit Gorton Creek Trail, but decided to go back the way I came.

When I returned to 2000' it was just barely clear enough to see...nothing! Just trees to the west. Hmm. Was able to see a bit of the ridge continuing below the step. Considered going down, but it was awfully steep getting down that step. I had a rope, but given the miserable weather and poor visibility, it seemed crazy to drop into that, so I started the trudge back up the cliff-edge.

Along the way, a remarkable surprise: The clouds parted for maybe 30 seconds, and I saw Deadwood Point right there in front of me! That striking ridge was running parallel to my cliff-edge route, separated by a steep narrow chute (quite similar to the shooting gallery at indian point). I had spotted that gully on the map, but wasn't prepared for its depth. Couldn't see the bottom, but what I could see made it evident it was deep. The clouds coalesced, leaving me with a surreal feeling. It was shocking to discover solid ground where I thought there was nothing but cloud, and then it was gone again.

I had to get over there! But how? Drop back to 2000', down the access to get below the cliffs, then try to find the chute? No, that would be crazy. I decided to go back up to 2770' and see if I could descend the faint eastbound ridge that drops to the top of the chute. It was easy. Looking down on the saddle that leads to DP, it looked like I had some challenges ahead, but it wasn't bad at all. Fascinating topography here. Again, I was struck at how similar it is to Indian Point.

The catwalk was terrifying. I can't imagine anybody walking that, but I have no doubt people have. I mostly stayed east on the gentler side, getting back up on top when possible. At the end of the ridge, the one spot that's probably what most people think of as DP, I assumed there was no place else to go, but to my left (westish) I could make out a big green ledge that might allow me to get back on ridgecrest below DP. To get there, I backtracked and found an unexpected spot where the west side isn't vertical. An easy descent and traverse put me back on crest below DP.

There was a short spur to the left; when it dead ended, I returned and continued a bit down the main ridge. I arbitrarily stopped when it seemed it was no longer promising. Later, pics and TRs confirmed I made the right decision. It gets really steep and brushy below. The clouds parted intermittently here, and I finally had a chance to look around.

On the way back up, I took a little side trip to DP to see how things looked with partial clearing. From here I bet I could have seen Indian Point, but for one stupid tree in the way!

On the way back to the saddle at the top of the chute, I dropped to the east to explore a series of parallel spines, mossy and grassy and blossomy and rocky. There were no views to be had, but the immediate scenery was nice, and it was a worthwhile side trip. All the spines cliffed out at the bottom. I followed the last spine up to the saddle and then retraced my route back up to Deadwood Ridge at 2770', where I turned left to continue up the ridge to Gorton Creek Trail.

I had wanted to explore up the ridge a ways and then cut over and return on the trail, but it was getting a little late, and it was remarkably dark, and the wind had picked up, and then the snow started again. Ugh, it was all just too much, so I headed down the trail to Grays Creek, past Deadwood Trail, to Indian Point. It was starting to clear up a bit, and I had a few minutes to spare, so down I went. Lovely scenery, clouds swirling, sun shining. Ate quickly, had my reward beer, reviewed my route on Deadwood ridge and DP, then hustled back to Gorton Creek Trail and bombed down the trail, arriving at my car just before dark.

Tip: Want to be at Indian Point and have the beautiful scenery all to yourself? Visit a couple hours before sunset on a rainy windy snowy stormy day and hope for a miraculous break in the weather.

I'm just going to throw down some pics in random order, because I'm in a rush (I always am). There will be two sets.

Edit: I'm finding it difficult to reconcile my pic of Deadwood Ridge and DP taken from Indian Point, with my pic taken from Washington. I realize things can look remarkably different from alternate perspectives, but this seems a bit much. In particular, the cliffbands on Deadwood Ridge are making me scratch my head. But the map and other TRs leave me with little doubt I was where I think I was.
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
c.jpg
Not a pretty pic; just here to document how easy this ridgecrest walk was, most of the way (although generally steeper than this).
20170513_183832.jpg
Nice perspective on Wind Mountain.
20170513_183158.jpg
Sure, why not.
ip.jpg
Deadwood Point as seen from Indian Point. DP is peeking out from behind Deadwood Ridge, on which you can see the cliff bands which I was tempted to descend.
20170506_185728 - Copy.jpg
The Indian Point area as seen from Washington. Deadwood Point is the conveniently illuminated ridge to the left/east.
Last edited by Chip Down on May 15th, 2017, 8:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Chip Down

Re: I discovered Deadwood Point...in a sense

Post by Chip Down » May 15th, 2017, 8:38 pm

the rest:
Attachments
g.jpg
the catwalk
e.jpg
Deadwood Point. Viewless when I first arrived; this was on the way back up, maybe 30 minutes later.
f.jpg
finally, a little clearing below DP, for a few minutes
h.jpg
Looking down towards the river, below DP
b.jpg
a random spot showing the character of Deadwood Ridge on the lower half of my descent
d.jpg
if I were to continue down Deadwood Ridge below the cliffs, this is where I'd drop in
a1.jpg
The top of the Deadwood cliffs when I arrived...
a2.jpg
and a few minutes later

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » May 16th, 2017, 4:32 am

That looks like quite an adventure, and though the clouds may have hidden the view they made it quite dramatic. Thanks for posting.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » May 16th, 2017, 8:34 am

Thanks for the report and the photos! Yet another place for me to put on my ever lengthening to-do list.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Peder

Post by Peder » May 16th, 2017, 12:49 pm

That is a wild area, especially without visibility! I am glad that you made it to Deadwood Point.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » May 16th, 2017, 2:35 pm

More importantly, how was the Double Mountain Tenacious Ten? I note that on their website it lists 11.5% and 100 IBUs next to a picture of the label that says 8.5% and 30 IBUs, so it sounds like it may be a confusing beer...
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » May 16th, 2017, 7:22 pm

Hey Bosterson, good eye. But look even closer. It's worse than you thought!

Website lists the following:
11.5% 100ibu
11.5% 110bu

Label image on website shows:
8.4% 30bu

Label on bottle shows:
11.5% 110bu

Anyway, after a year in the barrel and some time in the bottle, the hops are all theory. I didn't much care for it. A bit harsh. Not the abv or barrel character, not excessive roast, something else. I liked last year's Divine Nine more.

Bosterson knows the real reason I go hiking: opportunities to stagger along trails, singing and giggling. :lol: