Bushwhack to Upper Sorenson Falls

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
JimSorensen

Bushwhack to Upper Sorenson Falls

Post by JimSorensen » May 10th, 2017, 1:53 pm

On August 10, 2016 Brad Franklin(age 78) and I(age 77) hiked the Eagle Creek trail to where Sorenson Creek crosses the trail and then did the bushwhack to Upper Sorenson Falls. The advice we got from a fellow OregonHikers.org member was to start out on the south side of Sorenson Creek and very soon cross over to the north side via a big log. He said that after a while he found what might have been a game trail on the north side. After checking a topo map, we decided to start out and stay on the south side for almost all of the trek. This may well have been the wrong choice, as we found the travel on the south side to be doable but tough with many, many big mossy logs to clamber over, loose rock inclines to deal with and various other forms of tenuous footing. Also, in addition to the poison oak that is on both sides of the creek, I managed to step on a hornet's nest half buried in some loose rocks and received many stings as a reward for my intrusion. We were both in good condition, but the bushwhack in took us about two hours of steady trekking with only a few brief rest stops. The trek out took about the same time. But the falls were beautiful and well worth the effort. My advice if you plan to take the trek: Be in good hiking/scrambling shape and prepare for poison oak(which we did)---gloves, robust jeans, ankle protection. Hiking poles were also helpful. And, with multiple stings, I was glad Brad had brought Benadryl along. Of course, bring plenty of water. Don't go by yourself as there is no cell service. Next time, I'd opt for the route recommended to us on the north side. I wouldn't expect that to be a piece of cake either, but worth a try, given our experience.

pablo

Re: Bushwhack to Upper Sorenson Falls

Post by pablo » May 10th, 2017, 4:35 pm

Nice report. Also nice to hear you guys are still tearing up the hillsides in your late 70s. I hope I can be doing that when I get there.

--Paul
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

bobcat

Post by bobcat » May 16th, 2017, 5:36 am

Ditto to pablo's statement!

But . . . are you going to explain the Sorenson connection? I am very curious . . .

JimSorensen

Post by JimSorensen » May 16th, 2017, 11:32 am

Thanks pablo and bobcat for the kind words. As to the name of the creek, if it was spelled the Danish way(-sen instead of -son), I could say it was named after my immigrant grandfather, an Oregon pioneer who was born in Denmark in 1848 and arrived in the U.S. a day after Custer's Massacre in 1876. But,alas, it's spelled the way it is. But just being one letter "off" wasn't enough to keep me from making the pilgrimage. The summer before(2015), five of us(one from Washington, one from Connecticut, and three from Pennsylvania) made the trip from Wahtum Lake to the Eagle Creek trailhead, with one overnight at 7 1/2 mile camp. Another great Oregon hike.

JimSorensen

Post by JimSorensen » May 22nd, 2017, 3:08 pm

Here are a few pics from the bushwhack.
Attachments
USFalls first sighting---475 KB.JPG
USFalls up close---573 KB.JPG
USFalls splash pool---861 KB.JPG