Hardy Ridge offtrail: miserable bushwhack, few rewards

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
Chip Down

Hardy Ridge offtrail: miserable bushwhack, few rewards

Post by Chip Down » May 7th, 2017, 5:26 pm

From the four-way junction at the base of Hardy Ridge (which is the next ridge west of Hamilton Mt) I proceeded just a bit up the east loop trail looking for the opening I spotted on GE. It was just as obvious as I hoped. I used it to get past the brush and onto an open grassy ridgecrest where I was rewarded with expansive views.

Looking up, I saw a band of brush, followed by another big open area, and then the ridge disappeared into the clouds. Looked promising.

Unfortunately, after I headed into the clouds, things turned south (well, not literally, as I was actually ascending north). The brush got thicker, and sustained (no clear spots). From time to time I'd get a breather and it lightened up a bit, but even those spots were moderately brushy.

This went on for a looooong time, until I leveled off, and even dipped a bit. On the map, it looks simple enough, but when visibility is nil (due to clouds and brush), and the ridgecrest is a bit vague, you start to question if you're headed the right way. I persisted, but constantly wondered if it was wise. Would have given up long ago if not for the fact that the map promised good things to come.

It was soppy wet. Precip was very light, but that's not the point; the vegetation was dripping/saturated, and eventually I was too.

Finally, I spotted a rock outcropping, and I was overjoyed, partly because it was an actual challenge that wasn't brush, partly because it was a landmark, partly because I took it as a sign of better terrain above. From the top, I was unable to survey the ridge; still too cloudy.

Progressing up/north, I was shocked to discover the loop trail crossing the ridgecrest immediately after. What ever happened to the nice scenic open ridge I was expecting? I'm convinced the map is way off on the trail alignment (I know, shocking).

Followed the ridge up past the crossing of the loop trail, and it was beautiful. It was everything I'd hoped for on the lower ridge. The clouds were just starting to part, and from time to time I got some outstanding views. I wasn't sure how high I wanted to go, but when the trail abruptly ended at a point where the ridgecrest became brushy again, I knew it was time to stop. I'm sure I saw the best there was to see, and it would be stupid to continue a soggy viewless bushwhack, so I turned back. The west branch of the loop trail was boring and viewless, but I suspect the east side is too.

Warning: extremely crowded. I don't consider this to be among the most hyped trails in the gorge, but I never really had a sense of solitude, always felt like the next human encounter could be at any moment.
Attachments
20170506_073202.jpg
An example of one of the nice open spots on the lower ridgecrest.
20170506_074504.jpg
If you think that looks like a miserable bushwhack, consider the fact that it was soppy wet too!
20170506_104339.jpg
This is the kind of scenery I was hoping for below the trail crossing.
20170506_104541.jpg
Views weren't great, but I was grateful for what I got. An hour earlier, it was nothing but pea soup.
20170506_115859.jpg
A little selective illumination on Hamilton Mt.
20170506_122850.jpg
The outcropping that signaled the end of my miserable bushwhack.
20170506_123713.jpg
Almost missed this. Ascending the ridge, it wasn't that obvious, but spotted it on the descent. From the pic, you wouldn't guess it's so narrow, but I was actually straddling it like a horse at this point.
20170506_125050.jpg
To the west, above the ridge crossing. I decided the payback was probably meager, and it could possibly be a brushy nightmare.
20170506_125621.jpg
lots of miscellaneous trail markers
20170506_135844.jpg
I have this fascination with old waterworks. Or even semi-old waterworks.
Last edited by Chip Down on May 7th, 2017, 7:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Chip Down

Re: Hardy Ridge offtrail: miserable bushwhack, few rewards

Post by Chip Down » May 7th, 2017, 5:27 pm

Wasn't even noon yet, but dammit, I deserved this.
Attachments
20170506_113440.jpg

pablo

Post by pablo » May 7th, 2017, 8:00 pm

Hey Chip,

Nice report, you earned that beer. I don't mean to dog you with this me-too stuff but I did something similar a couple of years ago. After having had a similar experience but better weather I posted a report complaining about the brush and what not. In one of the comments to that TR Don Nelsen posted the track of the hike he and beag did using a trail that runs slightly to the west of the ridgeline. Since then I followed that trail and it is there but sometimes the trail and a flat-out bushwhack are indistinguishable. There are cut brush stems and vague tread to follow - would not take much to put it into shape - though WA Parks would not like that one bit. Here's the TR I did, of course, scroll down for the Don Nelsen map.

http://www.oregonhikers.org/forum/viewt ... 6&p=159674

--Paul
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » May 7th, 2017, 8:40 pm

Hey Paul, no worries, I already know every time I head into the gorge I'm following in your footsteps (which is why it was so funny that day I literally followed your footprints in the snow west of Wauna Point).

I missed your TR, and Peder's; the only one I found was a January(?) TR, in which he mentioned that the brush would be even worse without snow. Wish I'd known. This absolutely is not a hike anybody in their right mind wants to do (except maybe the lower portion where there were lots of clearings).

I had heard of an old trail, but knew it would be hard to find. I figured if I ran into it, that would be just a nice bonus.

Yeah, I considered dropping to the east, into the forest, but I knew that was cheating, and I knew there would be nothing at all interesting over there, so I plugged along.

Peder

Post by Peder » May 7th, 2017, 11:17 pm

So true, not the best of stretches, as some other locals discovered about 2 months ago! (I think their complaints were on the PH Facebook site).
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…