Herman Creek Ridge; a PCT shortcut to Benson Plateau

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
Chip Down

Herman Creek Ridge; a PCT shortcut to Benson Plateau

Post by Chip Down » April 23rd, 2017, 12:20 pm

Southbound PCT hikers arrive at Benson Plateau on a route that constantly flirts with the ridge west of Herman Creek. The trail occasionally runs on ridgecrest, and it hits a ridgecrest viewpoint or two, but mostly the PCT is routed on endless boring forested switchbacks. The map shows the trail first encounters the ridge from the west at about 1300', immediately crosses to the east side, bypasses some rugged terrain, then gains ridgecrest at about 2900', where it pretty much stays all the way to Benson. But that doesn't faithfully represent the situation; even above 2900' the trail seems determined to avoid the crest.

My goal, as you can guess, was to meet the ridge at 1300' and follow it all the way to Benson. I knew I'd encounter PCT in spots, including a charming section where the trail is routed along a level stretch of ridgecrest, but the trail was rarely spotted from my route (when it was spotted, it always offered the comfort and reassurance of a quick easy descent). Ultimately, I was hoping to find the Benson Way trail junction at 3750', a sensible place to call it quits. Out of an excess of obsession, I also hoped to follow the ridge below 1300', down to Herman Creek, but I never had the time/energy for that.

I encountered minimal brush and blowdown, some fantastic topography and views in the neighborhood of 1700' to 2500', more snow than expected, great clowdshows mixed with blue sky, light intermittent showers and a few bursts of heavy rain, almost no wind, a double rainbow, a flower-dappled meadowy ridge at maybe around 1500-1600', a little easy scrambling, mild/moderate exposure, some nice game trails, and the first mosquito of the season.

The highlight of the hike was hitting a distressing section around 1800' where the ridge suddenly fades into boring ugly forested slope offering no clue of where to go, but persisting and spotting a fantastic bouldery spur off to my west, and discovering it was the eastern edge of a fantastic narrow gully that's a salient point both on the map and when viewed from the PCT below. I propose calling it the The Lock, because of its proximity to Cascade Locks, and because it's a narrow vertical-walled conveyance that can take you to a higher place on your journey (but use extreme caution if you're tempted to do that; you're a sitting duck if there's rockfall).
Attachments
0.jpg
A = entry to what is probably an easy (boring) shortcut gully. Terrain to west didn't stand out either, probably not worthwhile.
B = entry to The Lock
C = point where I left PCT and headed up the ridge.
End of hike marked at lower left.
1.jpg
The Lock is that obvious breach in the cliff. Looks like it would be easy to access via talus slopes above PCT.
2.jpg
Less than 30 minutes up the ridge and I've already been rewarded.
3.jpg
An abrupt change above the meadow.
4.jpg
Looking down on the meadow.
5.jpg
One of the sentinels of The Lock.
6.jpg
Above the meadow.
7.jpg
The end of the east sentinel of The Lock, with my ascent ridge below in the distance.
8.jpg
The spur ridge that the rainbow points to is much more fun than it looks, very rugged bouldery crest mixed in with the trees.
Last edited by Chip Down on April 23rd, 2017, 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chip Down

Re: Herman Creek Ridge; a PCT shortcut to Benson Plateau

Post by Chip Down » April 23rd, 2017, 12:21 pm

and the manmade stuff:
Attachments
mm2.jpg
mm3.jpg
A reinforcement for a weak tree, or possibly the remnant of a shelter.
mm4.jpg
I don't think this was deliberately left here. I found it when exploring. I suspect it got away from somebody at the viewpoint above, and they figured it would be impossible to retrieve.
mm5.jpg
mm6.jpg

pablo

Post by pablo » April 23rd, 2017, 3:56 pm

Thx for the post. I used that ridge a time or 2 when I didn't feel like doing those long switchbacks. I've always felt the pre-PCT alignment was closer to the ridge than it is now and I've even convinced myself that I've seen abandoned tread in there. In their 1969 100 Oregon Hiking Trails the Lowes have a map showing the alignment and it differs from the present day. Could be mapping errors but the segment coming out of Herman Creek is considerably different from the route at present - kind of hard to miss that huge switchback coming out of Herman Creek and they are generally pretty meticulous map makers. Also in 1969 I'm not sure the segment of the PCT to Cascade Locks existed. At that time, and as show on the map, the PCT ended at the Gorge work center - I suppose from there you took a taxi across the BOTG then on to Dog to pick up the continuation of the WA segment. Anyway, here is a snippet of the Lowes' map.
PCTLowe1969.png
The gullies look interesting, I let you provide the beta on the 'Lock'.

--Paul
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » April 23rd, 2017, 4:43 pm

pablo wrote:I used that ridge a time or 2
Of course. I'm fully aware that anywhere I go, you've been there before me. ;)
pablo wrote:I've always felt the pre-PCT alignment was closer to the ridge than it is now and I've even convinced myself that I've seen abandoned tread in there.
Aha! I knew there was something I forgot to mention. There was a section where I was keeping an eye on two things: The crest, and what appeared to be an old alignment. There was a bench that was too long and straight and persistent to be natural. I was convinced it was manmade. Just barely below ridgecrest, which puzzled me, because I wondered why somebody would construct a trail twenty feet off ridgecrest instead of utilizing the route that Nature provided.