Wauneka Gap Tree

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
northridge

Re: Wauneka Gap Tree

Post by northridge » April 17th, 2017, 6:59 pm

First, thanks to all who posted their own pictures of the tree. It is difficult for photos to capture how striking the position of the tree was in combination with the entire scene. When coming up from below, or down the ridge from above, the tree was a testament to the power of nature to overcome adversity and persist in a hostile environment.

I noticed the tree was missing after we arrived up there but regrettably did not investigate the scene further at the time. I should have walked over to the actual location but I did not.

After posting the picture yesterday, I went back and looked carefully at every photo I had, particularly on the slope below the cliffs to the east. I zoomed way into one photo and saw the following:

Could that be the tree? Various characteristics match up.

I located a video on Youtube that someone made of the Wauneka scramble. It had very few views until I watched the same 10 seconds of it fifty times. In the video, posted November 26, 2015, the tree is already gone. However, the scar on the slope looks fresh.

News reports for early November of 2015 recall a significant wind storm in the gorge and up into Washington in early November of 2015.
Last edited by northridge on July 27th, 2017, 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

bobcat

Re: Wauneka Gap Tree

Post by bobcat » April 25th, 2017, 5:24 pm

Devastated, but thanks for the R.I.P. I've known a couple of people who've gone up there just to photograph that thing . . .