Vision Quest Pits off Wyeth, Apr 15, 2017

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
pablo

Vision Quest Pits off Wyeth, Apr 15, 2017

Post by pablo » April 16th, 2017, 12:06 am

I've been eyeing this long boulder field route to the vision quest pits on Wyeth and today was the day. The whole point of this exercise was to go up a boulder field off Wyeth Trail and have nice open views all the way up to the vision quest pits. This worked to some extent problem is Carson is not the most exciting thing in the world to look at. Views got better further up but were not really worth the effort compared to the views from the vision quest pits which are easier to get to via other routes.

Turned out OK although the approach needs work. Getting started on the hike up the boulder field is one of those things that once having done it I'll do it differently next time. The plan was to jump off from the nearby switchback on Wyeth Trail and that worked pretty good but my route to the start of the boulder field was wrong, I went low, should have gone high. You learn these things.

After a few minutes of pointless thrashing around steep gullies and hopping large rotted logs I got started up the boulders. Nice going but everything was wet and slick which slowed me down. Probably an easier go in the summer when all is dry. The boulders are stable and never have a problem with them rocking and rolling, just stair-stepped my way up the hill.

At the start looking up

ImageBoulderStart by pauljess999, on Flickr

Looking towards Carson

ImageBoulderView by pauljess999, on Flickr

Looking up hill from the boulder field, getting into the snow.

ImageLookingUp0 by pauljess999, on Flickr

Made the ridge line and headed for the vision quest pits and the great views there. In the following photo the vision quest pits are at the top.

ImageVQPits by pauljess999, on Flickr

Vision quest views. Nice looks, I had visions.

ImageVQLook1 by pauljess999, on Flickr

ImageUpstream by pauljess999, on Flickr

ImageShellrockWindDogAugs by pauljess999, on Flickr

ImageMarkers by pauljess999, on Flickr

I like the looks of Dog from this vantage point, poor bastards trying to park cars down there. Not for me - no flower is worth that.

ImageDogLot by pauljess999, on Flickr

A few folks on top

ImageDogMtn by pauljess999, on Flickr

Snow was getting deep as I went up but was solid so I did most of it in bare boots and postholed only a couple of times.

On top - maybe 4-6' of snow.

ImageOnTop by pauljess999, on Flickr

I missed connecting to Wyeth Trail due to the 3-4' of snow and no tracks or noticeable blaze so I set a waypoint for the Wilderness boundary sign and headed for home. Snow consistency is Cascade concrete, I did not bother with snow shoes this trip although at some point I put on spikes. At the wilderness sign I saw the first set of tracks. Someone on this same day had hiked up to the sign then turned around and went back. Nice as they broke trail through the snow and I did not have to think about route finding.

ImageWildernessSign by pauljess999, on Flickr

Not many views from Wyeth Trail, there is a nice one but you have to know where it is. More Carson.

ImageWyethTrailView by pauljess999, on Flickr

I went over to Washington side for a wrap photo on which I've marked the highlights. ($2.00 x 2 for crossing Bridge of the Gods - I thought that thing was paid for already)

ImageFromWash by pauljess999, on Flickr

Here is GE version of the route.

ImageGEWyeth by pauljess999, on Flickr

Nice outing, not sure I'll ever do it again. I'm giving myself 8.7 miles with 3900' cumulative elevation gain.

ImageWyethMap by pauljess999, on Flickr
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Peder

Re: Vision Quest Pits off Wyeth, Apr 15, 2017

Post by Peder » April 16th, 2017, 8:13 am

pablo wrote: my route to the start of the boulder field was wrong, I went low, should have gone high. You learn these things.
... the hard way!

I now have a waypoint on my GPS: "Go high to Pablo's boulder field!"

That is quite the challenge to go there with all the snow around! That said, the location of those vision quest pits is fabulous!
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » April 16th, 2017, 9:46 am

We nearly met again. I was just west of you, on the ridge between Gorton and Harphan creeks.

northridge

Post by northridge » April 16th, 2017, 11:52 am

pablo wrote:I went over to Washington side for a wrap photo on which I've marked the highlights. ($2.00 x 2 for crossing Bridge of the Gods - I thought that thing was paid for already)
Funny. After our hike we also headed to the WA side to get some route photos and I scrounged around to find $1.00 worth of change for the BOTG. The attendant looked at me funny when she counted out only $1.00 and told me it was now $2.00! I had to use a credit card which backed up traffic for a bit.

Nice report and photos.

acorn woodpecker

Post by acorn woodpecker » April 16th, 2017, 12:37 pm

Another enjoyable Pablo-escapade replete with great photos. Sounds like the preferred way to access the vision quest pits would be via the south ridge above Shellrock? Still have yet to make it there myself, but it should happen someday.
pablo wrote:I like the looks of Dog from this vantage point, poor bastards trying to park cars down there. Not for me - no flower is worth that.
As much as I love flowers, I very much agree. There are SO many more places to go to get a flower fix.
Chip Down wrote:I was just west of you, on the ridge between Gorton and Harphan creeks.
Ah, you were on the Wyeth Spur. Ask Bosterson about his descent on that in the dark!
Was it a worthwhile endeavor? How was navigating the cliff band between 800-1000ft?

Peder

Post by Peder » April 16th, 2017, 4:01 pm

acorn woodpecker wrote:Sounds like the preferred way to access the vision quest pits would be via the south ridge above Shellrock?
Check on the current conditions of the Shellrock Mtn normal route or just go up Pablo's Gully (I think you will miss the "official" summit of Shellrock Mtn - but who cares unless your name is Kelly or Don?)
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

pablo

Post by pablo » April 16th, 2017, 5:11 pm

Peder wrote:
acorn woodpecker wrote:Sounds like the preferred way to access the vision quest pits would be via the south ridge above Shellrock?
Check on the current conditions of the Shellrock Mtn normal route or just go up Pablo's Gully (I think you will miss the "official" summit of Shellrock Mtn - but who cares unless your name is Kelly or Don?)
The south ridge above Shellrock works great. Those less inclined to adventure hiking would hike to the top using Wyeth Trail hike north on the ridge then down to the VQ pits, route finding skills needed. Another way there is to take off in the direction of the VQ pits from about the 2000' level off Wyeth Trail. You can actually use part of the old Wyeth trail to help out getting up the hill.

--Paul

pablo

Post by pablo » April 16th, 2017, 5:15 pm

Chip Down wrote:We nearly met again. I was just west of you, on the ridge between Gorton and Harphan creeks.
Interesting, I'd like to hear about your Wyeth Spur explorations and I have the same questions Ben asked.

--Paul

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » April 16th, 2017, 7:08 pm

acorn woodpecker wrote:Ah, you were on the Wyeth Spur. Ask Bosterson about his descent on that in the dark!
Was it a worthwhile endeavor? How was navigating the cliff band between 800-1000ft?
Now that I know it's called Wyeth Spur, I was able to find a little info. Very little. Google "Wyeth Spur" and you'll get almost nothing. Was good reading though.

I'll post a TR in a few minutes.

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » April 17th, 2017, 1:59 am

northridge wrote:
pablo wrote:I went over to Washington side for a wrap photo on which I've marked the highlights. ($2.00 x 2 for crossing Bridge of the Gods - I thought that thing was paid for already)
Funny. After our hike we also headed to the WA side to get some route photos and I scrounged around to find $1.00 worth of change for the BOTG. The attendant looked at me funny when she counted out only $1.00 and told me it was now $2.00! I had to use a credit card which backed up traffic for a bit.
Buy a pass book. $20 for 20 crossings, and they don't expire as far as I can tell.