"Ruckeler Ridge": a ridgecrest variant of Ruckel Creek trail

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
Chip Down

"Ruckeler Ridge": a ridgecrest variant of Ruckel Creek trail

Post by Chip Down » April 10th, 2017, 8:41 pm

In spite of its fearsome reputation, Ruckel Ridge is pretty straightforward: a "trail" of sorts follows a crisp well-defined ridgecrest. But what about the next ridge to the east, over on the other side of Ruckel Creek? Studying map/photos, I was intimidated: Undulating and wandering, swirling with spurs, sometimes broadening before rising out of the forest again. I knew I couldn't follow it to Benson Plateau, but maybe to 2400', where a prominent spur leads down to the safety of Ruckel Creek Trail. Or maybe on to 2800', a relative high point. Beyond that, it looked way too difficult (although the final approach to Benson, from about 3200', looked easy). Well, miracle of miracles, I pulled it off, all the way to Benson, where I found Ruckel Creek trail in the snow. A blow-by-blow would take forever, but here are some impressions:

Terrain: Ruckel Ridge has its catwalk, but Ruckel Ridge's big brother has countless challenges. As I entered the mossy boulder field (Vision Quest site) at about 800', I could see there was no way to scale the sheer cliffs to the ridgecrest. Starting at the bottom of the ridge was impossible, because it rose to a steep knife-edge. I went around to the north side and found a gully to scramble up. Continuing up the ridgecrest, I encountered impossible gendarmes (rock pillars on the crest), sudden dropoffs that forced me to backtrack and descend around, fun mossy scrambles, a spot that reminded me of Devil's Backbone (above Rock of Ages), some curiously well-defined grassy landings, some spurs that went to sunny rest stops...something for everybody! Oh, I even followed the Ruckel Creek trail a short distance, where it runs on the crest. And there are some broad flat forested parts where it's almost like you're not on a ridge, just enough slope to keep you on route.

Views: Because of all the twists and turns, you'll get views of the Columbia, into Ruckel Canyon and across to Eagle Creek Canyon, some cliffy spurs, and even your own ascent route.

Brush: Not bad at all, just a minor annoyance at times.

Routefinding challenges: Easier than it looks. I set some flags to be sure, but I bet I could do it again with just my memory. It was generally pretty obvious where to go on the ascent, and there were maybe just a couple tricky spots to watch for on the descent.

Benson Plateau and the descent: Benson arrives abruptly, just as it does at the top of Ruckel Ridge. And there's significant snow up there, unlike the ridge which had just a dusting of new snow. On the plateau I dropped towards Ruckel Creek, which I could hear, looking for signs of the trail. Easier than I though; there's a good boot-track. I followed it up to the wilderness boundary sign. It was scary late, so I was tempted to take the trail down, but I wanted to see my route in reverse. And, honestly, I hated the thought of leaving my flagging, even though it's yellow masking tape that will fade and decay faster than plastic. So I turned and retraced my steps. It went well. I was uneasy at a few spots, but my judgement/memory was nearly flawless. A little before sunset, I arrived at the highest point where the ridgecrest comes within sight of the trail, so at that point I jumped off and took the trail the rest of the way, a beer in each hand. And that's where the rain started.

Recommendation: This was absolutely Type 1 fun. Highly recommended. In fact, I might go back some day to explore some side routes. But if you find Ruckel Ridge a challenge, then this ridge probably isn't for you. I'd say it's probably roughly in the same class as Roudolph Spur, or the route from McCord Falls to Wauneka Point.

Equipment: I took way too much. A rope isn't worth the weight/space. If you like to use an ice axe for this kind of route, you'll find it helpful, but a pair of treking poles is fine.

Name: It's tougher than Ruckel Ridge, so you could say it's got more Ruckel in it. I'm calling it Ruckeler Ridge, but other suggestions are welcome.
Attachments
ruckeler.jpg
That clean simple ridge at bottom is Ruckel. The wild sloppy "ridge" at top was my route.
20170409_154500.jpg
This might be the most work I've ever expended just to get to a wilderness boundary sign! Notice the shiny new matched-brand accessories at upper left. How embarrassing. I felt like such a tourist. No matter; didn't see a single person all day.
20170409_132327.jpg
I saw a 5 year old Bigfoot and a newborn! Here's the proof.

Peder

Re: "Ruckeler Ridge": a ridgecrest variant of Ruckel Creek t

Post by Peder » April 11th, 2017, 5:43 am

I have only done the ridge from 2,000' and up - the straight forward part. I always like passing the Easter Island statues.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » April 11th, 2017, 7:48 am

Chip Down wrote: Name: It's tougher than Ruckel Ridge, so you could say it's got more Ruckel in it. I'm calling it Ruckeler Ridge, but other suggestions are welcome.
"North Ruckel Creek Ridge" is generally called the Benson Bluffs. It's a super fun ridge. I hope you climbed to the top of the freestanding pillar ("Easter Island statue") Peder is referring to? Some of the best rock in the Gorge! The bottom section from the vision quest pits up to where it rejoins the RC trail is also pretty stellar - endless viewpoints of Table and the Bridge of the Gods as you scramble through brush along the ridgecrest with a nice dropoff to your left. :D

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4945

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15490

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15575
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » April 11th, 2017, 6:18 pm

Peder,
Surprised you describe the part above 2000' as straightforward. Seems to me the straightforward part is below 2000'. But straight or crooked, it was all fun!

Bosterson,
Oh! I knew I couldn't have been the first to do this, but I was glad to have done it blind, with no TRs to guide me. Also very pleased at the links you've posted. It's fun to read what others have posted. And searching for Benson Bluffs led me to another fun TR from Acorn Woodpecker on another nearby route. No, I didn't climb Easter Island. Was pressed for time. Honestly wouldn't have occurred to me to try it anyway. Thanks so much for posting those links!