Wauna Gully, west of Wauna Ridge

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
Chip Down

Wauna Gully, west of Wauna Ridge

Post by Chip Down » March 13th, 2017, 8:06 pm

You may have seen Pablo's TR on this route yesterday. I was just hours behind him, which is really odd. I mean, this ain't Dog Mountain or Angel's Rest! When I saw his footprints (which I didn't encounter until the end) I assumed he had come from the west ridge (which turned out to be his descent route). Anyway, here's my story:

I was exploring the messy jumbled confluence at the point on Wauna Ridge where a spur ridge goes to the northwest. Finished with that, I started looking for other adventures. I'd been eyeing the next ridge to the west, which looked promising. To go west, I first had to drop a bit down the Wauna spur to find a safe place to get off the ridgecrest.

Then I headed west until I hit the creek shown on the map (under snow) and continued up until I hit a very narrow gully-within-the gully, about as wide as a logging road, with crisp steep sides. It wasn't very deep though, maybe about as deep as it was wide. Abruptly, I heard gurgling beneath me. Yikes. Got out of there. Soon after that, I hit the intermediate ridge, which starts gently at the yellow Y on my map, and soon steepens into a vertical step. I had to choose the creek gully to the west, or the broader gully to the east, just below the cliffs of Wauna Ridge. I chose the latter.

As I ascended, I kept looking for access west to get me up on the intermediate ridge, but by the time I saw good safe opportunities I was getting close to the top of the gully, so stuck with that. Wauna Ridge and the intermediate ridge converged and formed a headwall at the top of the gully. The Wauna Point trail passes under this headwall, dipping just barely into the gully on its way to Wauna Point. It was mostly bare here (and only here). I didn't remember that spot from my previous trip on the WP trail, so as I neared the end of the gully I didn't know I was about to hit the trail, although I surmised it was probably somewhere nearby, as it was evident that Wauna Ridge was fading out.

Above the trail, above the headwall, where the two ridges converged into one broader gentler ridge, I wandered around a bit, enjoying the lovely scenery. A sawcut log, and footprints, verified my suspicion that the map doesn't show the true alignment of the WP trail.

There was a creek to the east, and my perception was that it flowed down to the north, but looking at the map that doesn't seem possible. Any creek in that area that was above my ascent gully would have to flow NE, based on the topography shown on the map. Weird. Not worth going back to investigate, but if I'm ever back there again I'll check it out.

Started down the intermediate ridge. My plan was to watch for escape routes into the ascent gully to my east, because I knew I could get trapped on that ridge if it dropped sharply, forcing me to ascend again. When the ridgecrest got steep and brushy, and I was postholing 65cm deep, I figured it was time to give up, so went back up to the last escape route and dropped into the ascent gully, then down to the next safe access point to get back on crest. Is that confusing? Basically I descended the intermediate ridge as much as possible, using my ascent gully when necessary.

When I got back to the lowest step on the intermediate ridge, and the ridge was little more than a hump, I continued west, crossed the creek, and looked for a way up to the crest of the next ridge. It was pretty easy. From there, it was apparent there was no way to ascend. This western ridge has a nasty step in about the same place as the intermediate ridge, but it's higher and broader, and I don't think there's a practical way around it. However, dropping down the ridgecrest was fun and easy (mossy, rocky, well defined). It ended with a fun surprise dropoff to another navigable stretch, but after that it dropped so steeply that I wasn't going to mess with it, so retraced my steps and dropped back into the gully. Noticed that from here it was obvious the intermediate ridge would be really easy to mount from the west, unlike the cliffy east side. Next time.

Followed the creek down towards the powerline road, looking for a big open mossy talus slope I had spotted from Wauna Ridge. Found it (easier than expected, visible from the creek) and followed that down to the road.

On the road, I had to decide to head east and take the Wauna Viewpoint trail down, or go west and hook up with 400 trail. Nope, neither, just bushwhack northeast to the I84 Eagle Creek exit. Risky, but it worked out very well. Gentle terrain, not too brushy, and I picked a good bearing by just following my gut. Crossed 400 trail on the way, then the old portage road, right at the EC stairs. It got dark towards the end, so I fished my headlamp out.

Approaching the EC stairs I felt/heard a distressing slapping sound at my left foot. Hoped it was a gaiter problem, but nope, my sole had delaminated from the plastic shell of my boot. Disappointing workmanship. In addition, some stitching is failing, as are the rands, and these boots have probably only been used on 200 trips, maybe 250 or 300, since I bought them in the late 90's. I wonder if Salomon will honor a warranty claim?
Attachments
map.jpg
Started at X; went to the gentle beginning of the intermediate ridge Y; on the way down took a side trip to the western ridge at point Z.
20170312_164835.jpg
Wauna Ridge as seen from intermediate ridge
20170312_161613.jpg
Wauna Point
20170312_180638.jpg
The mossy rocky slopes I followed back to the powerline road.
20170312_173253.jpg
The lower end of the intermediate ridge, where I was forced to pick a gully to ascend. From the west side, you can see I probably could have scrambled up the ridge.
20170312_164300.jpg
I thought this was going to be the end of the western ridge, but not quite...
20170312_164407.jpg
Here we go, that's the end.

Bosterson

Re: Wauna Gully, west of Wauna Ridge

Post by Bosterson » March 13th, 2017, 8:44 pm

chip down wrote:my sole had delaminated from the plastic shell of my boot
So you're out hiking in plastic mountaineering boots? That sounds painful! But I guess it goes along with the crampons and ice screws! ;)

I know you said Salomon and these are Lowas; just for illustration only.
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » March 14th, 2017, 5:20 am

Not full shell, just a plastic foundation I guess you could say. Mostly leather. Google Salomon Super Mountain 9.

pablo

Post by pablo » March 14th, 2017, 7:34 am

Thx Chip for the TR, photos and map - those are neat explorations you are doing. I was looking at the ridge to the west of me and it looked doable in parts, nice to know it is. I may go back up to do the gully on the other side and visit that intermediate ridge.

--Paul
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.