Sheppard's Dell

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
Chip Down

Sheppard's Dell

Post by Chip Down » January 28th, 2017, 7:35 pm

Planning a longish hike Sunday, so wanted a quick easy fun hike Saturday. There are some spots I've wanted to explore around Sheppard's Dell. Up above, to the east and west, down Young Creek to the marsh (ugly and brown this time of year). Best weather I've seen since maybe November. A bit breezy, but dry and relatively warm.
Attachments
1.jpg
This is what drew me to Sheppard's Dell. I guess others have found it interesting, as it shows up in old postcards, maybe even more than the falls. I gave up on it a few days ago, deterred by mud and thorns and thin moss over rock, but today I was more persistent and got to the top.
2.jpg
And there it is viewed from the next high point to the east.
3.jpg
Working my way to the west.
4.jpg
A little more to the west, approaching Young Creek and the top of the falls.
5.jpg
One of the more dramatic viewpoints.
6.jpg
Notice the staircase down there.
7.jpg
From the sharp ridge just north of the falls. Young Creek tumbles through a very narrow slot, but couldn't really get up close. Brush, brush, brush. What this place needs is a good fire to clear out the views.
8.jpg
Surprised I don't see this sort of thing more often.
Last edited by Chip Down on January 28th, 2017, 7:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Chip Down

Re: Sheppard's Dell

Post by Chip Down » January 28th, 2017, 7:41 pm

The man-made stuff:
Attachments
a.jpg
This is new, not there 72 hours ago. When you encounter huge boulders litering the trail, the best thing to do is NOT stand there and take pics!
b.jpg
Front end of some sort of vehicle. Couldn't identify. Kinda big and utilitarian. I think it was a truck, probably not a car.
c.jpg
I felt a little sorry for this poor abandoned rope. Earlier in the day I saw a couple condoms at a viewpoint. This rope was similarly discarded when it was no longer needed, after having provided safety for people seeking fun in the gorge (no, I didn't take pics of the condoms, but now I wish I had, so I could juxtapose the pics with some sort of witty caption).
d.jpg
"made with ice juice"