Dog Mtn from Dog Creek Falls via E ridge (+trip two, Dec 26)

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
Chip Down

Dog Mtn from Dog Creek Falls via E ridge (+trip two, Dec 26)

Post by Chip Down » December 4th, 2016, 6:16 pm

Considered starting out on the east side of Dog Creek, ascending to an enticing peak and then working my way west. Glad I didn't. Found out later Dog Creek runs through a canyon that would be tricky to cross, tiring, probably brushy too.

As I ascended the ridge, I stayed south, hoping for better views, traversing a bit below the crest and looking for a way up to the crest. I followed a faint trail that passed an abandoned utility pole. As I worked my way west, I failed at a couple ascent routes to the crest, and the westbound trail crossed some steep loose gullies that made me nervous, so I aborted and went back east to the utility pole, and followed Dog Creek upstream on a fairly clear trail. The scenery was nice, and someday I want to follow that trail upstream and see what comes of it, but I took a fainter side trail back south and up, gaining the ridgecrest. Was shocked at how narrow it was, dropping steeply to the right/north. From dog spine (on a previous day) I looked over at the east ridge and imagined the other side was gentle and foresty (it does get a bit more that way up higher).

From the west end of the crisp crest, the route dropped slightly and then continued up a jumbled ridge that presented some fun routefinding challenges. I didn't expect this either. Lots of little spur ridges too. I'd say it was more spread out and chaotic than Dog Spine, a little harder to parse, with less opportunities for easy descents to the highway. And it would probably be easy to get lost in bad weather. So yeah, overall I'd say the east ridge involves more commitment than Dog Spur (but that's a a tentative evaluation, as I haven't quite finished exploring Dog Spur).

Eventually, inevitably, I reached the point of no return, where I figured the easiest safest descent involved continuing up to the official Dog Mt trail and walking back on the highway. I didn't want to do that, but all my wanderings had put me behind schedule, and with a 4:30 sunset in the wind and rain I wasn't really keen on going back the way I came. But I will be back. There's a lot more exploring to be done, and if I can move fast enough next time my reward will be some further explorations of Dog Spine on the descent.

Once I got far enough west that I was essentially above Dog Spine, I kinda lost my way a bit. Don't really know what went wrong, but I think I was too low/south, and lost the ridgecrest. Wasn't particularly worried though. I've taken two different routes from the top of Dog Spine to the trail system, so I'm somewhat familiar with the terrain. And there's really not much that can go wrong, as long as you keep going up but veering south/left when in doubt.

When I hit the trail I figured I might as well go up to the top. This was the back-door loop trail, not the standard route. It used to be pretty brushy, but there's been some maintenance recently. At the top, I sat on a rock and finished the rest of my beer/lunch in the wind-driven rain, and sang some cheerful children's songs, just because I was in a good mood. Like the last time I was here, I was wet and muddy, but it was more seasonally appropriate, and there was nobody here to look at me and wonder where the hell I'd been. Explored that little trail that goes from the uppermost viewpoint to the true summit, but of course it's brushy and boring. But good to finally know where it goes.

On the way down, took the connecting trail that goes to Augspurger Trail, and found it to be more scenic than expected (although it was pea soup most of the way). I may have hiked this trail before, but if so it was many years ago.

Almost got back to the trailhead before dark, but got distracted by some old logging roads that had to be explored in the fading light.
As it turns out, I did have time for more east-ridge exploring, but I guess it was prudent to not risk it. It wouldn't be a good place to hike out by headlamp.

Embarrassing confession: When I approached Dog Creek on the highway in the morning, I should have paid more attention to landmarks. Later, after dark, with my pack stashed under the Dog Mt TH picnic table, I walked back to my car, following the south edge of the tracks, where it's safest. But that put me so far from the north side of the hwy that I couldn't see the sign, so I overshot. When I realized it, I had to turn back and walk west, which put the wind-driven rain in my face. It wasn't so bad when it was at my back. In case you're wondering, it's 2 miles from Dog Mt TH to the creek. Two miles of RR walking in the dark when it's windy and rainy is not a fun way to end a hike, but I still had plenty of energy, my feet weren't sore, I was warm enough, and I was only wet on the outside, so I was still in a decent mood by the time I finally got back to the creek.
Attachments
20161203_092010.jpg
First challenge of the day was getting from the westbound traverse up to the ridgecrest. Found several routes that almost worked.
20161203_105719.jpg
East ridge on the right, Dog Spur back to the left.
20161203_105855.jpg
The first good viewpoint of the day, the east end of the ridge. Across Dog Creek Canyon is that peak I want to attempt someday, the one I considered starting my hike with. When I saw that from the hwy, it was almost too much to resist.
20161203_111659.jpg
20161203_125622.jpg
To the left of that square block are three ridges I want to investigate. Down below, far away, is what I assumed was the knife-edge ridge I followed earlier, but the grassy slope near the top doesn't look familiar. Much closer, and further to the left, are two ridges I wanted to check out (one just barely visible, poking up above the closer ridge). I was close, but would have to drop and bushwhack a bit, so kept moving.
20161203_125818.jpg
20161203_125936.jpg
Looked like it was going to drop any minute.
20161203_132843.jpg
Lovely spot for a break. It was warm enough to sit and relax for a bit, but too wet and windy.
20161203_133615.jpg
Wanted to try to get to the top of that spur ridge, but would have had to drop a bit, and was starting to worry about time.
DogMtEastOverview.jpg
Last edited by Chip Down on December 29th, 2016, 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chip Down

Re: Dog Mountain from Dog Creek Falls via east ridge

Post by Chip Down » December 4th, 2016, 6:19 pm

December on Dog Mt calls for a dog-themed holiday beer. Considered Alan's Doggie Claws, but decided on Allen's Sandy Paws.
Attachments
20161203_123731.jpg
20161203_123802.jpg

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » December 4th, 2016, 6:33 pm

bonus TR: Old Loggers Trail, essentially an abandoned logging road (I presume) that crosses Augspurger trail and goes up to the old/new Dog Mt junction. Or going the other way it drops into the basin between Dog Mt and Wind Mt.
Attachments
20161203_072739.jpg
Looks like Pete was here.
I chuckled. Fear is such a part of my hiking. Not that I seek it out, but I look for challenges, and often that entails some fear too.
20161203_073130.jpg
In case you get lost on this obvious roadbed, flagging every twenty yards will guide your way.
20161203_073857.jpg
Barbed wire across a creek. Hmm...
20161203_074413.jpg
A dry streambed can be the easiest way to travel.

sgyoung

Post by sgyoung » December 5th, 2016, 9:06 am

Very cool. Thanks for posting this. I've wondering about Dog Creek Canyon myself. I know Scott Cook mentions that you can scramble up the side of the waterfall just off 14 (my daughter's favorite Gorge falls) and indeed I've seen people down climbing the cliff after exploring the canyon.

I take it from this report that you've not explored that canyon at all. It definitely could be interesting - one of these days maybe I'll get the chance to check it out.

Peder

Post by Peder » December 5th, 2016, 10:40 am

Nice! That area has been on my "to do" list for years... I am glad that somebody is getting out and about!
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » December 29th, 2016, 5:26 am

Been wanting to get back to that peak just east of Dog Creek Falls. Parked at Dog Creek and followed SR14 east to a little slot waterfall just past an open area that had the look of an old quarry. Scrambled up and followed the crags and cliffs headed west. Routefinding was interesting and fun. At the top, I dropped straight down to the north into a forested flat-bottom valley where I had a respite from the cold wind. It was open enough to allow easy travel. I followed the valley west to Dog Creek, overlooking the falls. Considered going back east through the valley and up to the north to check out a waterfall I had spotted earlier. Maybe some other day. Decided to go back east on the west ridge of the peak, then back down and over the ridge to drop down to my car (I guess that's not very clear; see drawing below). Back at my car, it was much later than expected. I figured I might spend an hour or two on that peak, but there was so much fun exploring to be done, it turned into three hours.

Then across Dog Creek at SR14 and up the west side until I found the trail I followed partway last time, up Dog Creek canyon. This time, I followed the trail until it faded in the snow, where I left the creek and got up on the east ridge by following a draw. Continued to spot the trail on and off in the snow. Was surprised to find sawcut passages where the trail met downed trees. I now believe this must be the standard route up the east ridge of Dog Mt, but I don't think it's the best route. Okay if you're in a hurry and want fun/safe, but what's the point of that? Arrived at the ridge crests I missed last time when I had traversed to the south. That was my bare-minimum to consider the day a success, but I had a bit of time left in my budget, so went a little higher until I connected with my previous ascent route. Dropped my phone off a cliff, watched it sail through the air, bounce off the rocks below, land on a snowy ledge, slide down a gully. I went down and got it, and the damn thing had scarcely a scuff on it! Amazing. Was tempted to drop straight down to SR14 from there, but had no extra time if something went wrong, so I climbed back to Samsung Point and descended the ridge pretty much the way I had come.

The predicted snow finally arrived on the drive home, all the way to Corbet. I took the old highway and enjoyed the slow scenic drive. Even went up Larch Mt until I got stuck. Dug myself out with the shovel I carry in the winter, put my heavy grippy rubber floormats under my tires, and backed down to the plow zone.
Attachments
20161226_083521.jpg
20161226_085607.jpg
Hey waterfall hunters, here's a possible adventure (also noted on GE photo below)
20161226_091838.jpg
20161226_093125.jpg
A possible ascent route worth exploring someday.
20161226_093223.jpg
A rarely-seen perspective of Dog Mountain's east ridge.
20161226_094009.jpg
20161226_095844.jpg
There's a USGS benchmark up there.
20161226_144214.jpg
The snowy ridgecrest at foreground/left was my PM goal. The snowy ridgecrest way down at lower right, where SR14 curves around and disappears, was my AM goal.
20161226_144957.jpg
Climbing down to recover my phone, down to the snowy landing and then down the far side west into a gully.
DogMtEastEastRidgeGE.jpg
yellow line = approximate route

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » December 29th, 2016, 5:30 am

It's officially winter now, so these came out of the cellar.
Attachments
20161226_134930.jpg
Bruce Willis, Spencer Treat Clark, 2000.

Peder

Post by Peder » December 29th, 2016, 8:07 am

Chip Down wrote:It's officially winter now, so these came out of the cellar.
Very cool explorations and a great view in the last picture!
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

acorn woodpecker

Post by acorn woodpecker » December 30th, 2016, 11:45 am

Chip Down wrote:This time, I followed the trail until it faded in the snow, where I left the creek and got up on the east ridge by following a draw. Continued to spot the trail on and off in the snow. Was surprised to find sawcut passages where the trail met downed trees. I now believe this must be the standard route up the east ridge of Dog Mt, but I don't think it's the best rout
I don't think there is a "standard" route up that ridge as it's so minimally traveled. Most folks explore Dog Creek itself and stay off the ridges. Unless there's been recent user maintenance, those saw cuts are old (I remember seeing them a few years back) and most of the trail is animal created. It's possible the trail is part of a loop to exit the canyon and descend the ridge.

Sure is nice terrain on either side of Dog Creek.

mandrake

Post by mandrake » January 3rd, 2017, 2:21 pm

acorn woodpecker wrote:I don't think there is a "standard" route up that ridge as it's so minimally traveled. Most folks explore Dog Creek itself and stay off the ridges. Unless there's been recent user maintenance, those saw cuts are old (I remember seeing them a few years back) and most of the trail is animal created. It's possible the trail is part of a loop to exit the canyon and descend the ridge.
How high up is this trail? Apparently there was a pretty serious pot-growing operation going on somewhere up above the west side of Dog Creek a number of years back. Reportedly the growers had done some pretty intricate terracing per the steep slopes up there. The authorities went in to bust them, then made the mistake of trying to descend direct to Dog Creek. Reportedly they got unexpectedly cliffed out and had to spend the night up there.