Witcome-Payette Trail Loop (Applegate Lake) 03-Dec-2016

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
VanMarmot

Witcome-Payette Trail Loop (Applegate Lake) 03-Dec-2016

Post by VanMarmot » December 4th, 2016, 8:42 am

Since we moved to southwest Oregon, our hiking card has been pretty much filled with hikes on established trails (with varying degrees of maintenance), all of which were essentially new to us. Hence there hasn't been much motivation to search out lost trails and cross-country routes. For one thing, going cross-country down here isn't easy given the steep slopes, thick brush (manzanita - ow!! :cry: ), choked watercourses, and gobs of poison oak. I did manage to find one lost trail - the #908 to Steve Peak - and also follow a now well decommisioned road down the Scotch Creek drainage in the Soda Peak Wilderness to make a loop involving the Lone Pilot Trail. Tom of the Woods (post) has also been involved in the search for old trails - particularly in the Sky Lakes Wilderness.

Recently, however, the LovedOne and I did a shuttle-facilitated hike along the Payette Trail (USFS #970) on the shores of Applegate Lake (post). Despite the fact that Applegate Lake is actually a reservoir of varying depth, this is a pretty nice, low-altitude hike and one to keep in mind if you want something snow-free to do in mid-Winter. But, as I was tracing our track on the map, I noticed another "trail" paralleling it a little upslope. I suspected that this "trail" was actually an old road connecting the Manzanita and Payette trailheads of the Payette Trail, since you start the Payette Trail from these points on short stretches of old road. What it turned-out to be was the Witcome Stock Driveway, which worked in conjunction with the fence to keep errant cows away from the reservoir. Today's cloud-shrouded and hence viewless weather was perfect for exploring the nature and extent of this old road.

This exploration started at the Payette Trail's Payette Trailhead at the head of Acorn Woman Arm,

then went across the AMAZINGLY ROBUST bridge over Acorn Woman Creek. There is no motorized use in this area, so it's not clear why you need such a big, strong bridge - other than when you ask the Army (the lake is managed by the USACE) for a bridge, you're likely to get something suitable for a mechanized battalion. :roll:

Just beyond the bridge, the you come to a junction where the Payette Trail goes off to the west, while the stock driveway heads uphill to the south. I went south.

Two things were quickly apparent: (1) the stock driveway was still intact, even if it had shrunk to a trail in some places and (2) it is paralleled its entire length by a barbed wire fence meant to keep cattle away from the reservoir. My guess is that the driveway was built along with the reservoir back in the late 1970s and is now little used, since parts are now only accessible by horse or foot and some large trees have fallen across it (destroying the fence in the process).

That said, it provided for easy travel on this misty day,

marred only by the very occasional fallen tree,

until it worked its way around toward the south end of the reservoir and descended,

to connect with the Payette Trail's Manzanita Trailhead.

From there is was an easy walk back to Acorn Woman Arm on the nearly level Payette Trail, with moody, cloudy views of the lake along the way.

Image Looking south toward the Red Buttes

Image Acorn Woman Creek enters the lake

What this old road provides is a way to hike the Payette Trail without the need for a car shuttle. The loop out and back to Acorn Woman Arm is 8 miles with 400' EG but you could start at one of the other Payette trailheads to make longer or shorter loops.

Image Red line = Payette Trail; Dotted black line = old road
Last edited by VanMarmot on September 16th, 2023, 5:59 am, edited 9 times in total.

Splintercat

Re: Payette Trail Loop (Applegate Lake) 03-Dec-2016

Post by Splintercat » December 30th, 2016, 10:44 pm

That's a nice find, Bruce! Surprised to see a "squaw" place name left on the map...

Tom

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » January 1st, 2017, 8:32 am

Splintercat wrote:That's a nice find, Bruce! Surprised to see a "squaw" place name left on the map...

Tom
Yes, that name bothers me too. But it's on peaks, lakes, and whole map quadrangles down here. Apparently someone has to formally propose a change to the Board of Geographic Names to get things moving. One can only imagine what kind of s**t-storm that might set off in the current political climate.

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » January 1st, 2017, 10:24 am

Very true, sadly. I had the impression the Oregon Geographic Names Board was doing a systematic effort, but apparently not...

Tom

bobcat

Post by bobcat » January 2nd, 2017, 9:29 am

VanMarmot wrote:Apparently someone has to formally propose a change to the Board of Geographic Names to get things moving.
The legislature mandated this for all Squaw changes, but each place (and a replacement name) has to be proposed and then the glacial process begins. In addition to government bureaucracy, there are other things holding the changes up:

1. 'Squaw' is not banned like some other pejorative terms; in fact, it is used by many Native Americans themselves (and I have heard it used quite freely on reservations), but it is activists among them who have pushed for change since they consider Euro-American use of the word has pejorative connotations.

2. Thus, if you miss proposing one of the many Squaw place names out there (apparently Oregon had more than any other state), it won't get changed until someone picks up on it and begins the process.

3. Other opposition comes not from actually changing the name, but in its replacement. Generally, Native names have been proposed, but in some rural counties they would prefer to have new names that reflect white settler history, so . . . stalemate.