Quarry Crags, east of Hood River, between HCRH and RR

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
Chip Down

Re: Quarry Crags, east of Hood River, between HCRH and RR

Post by Chip Down » November 30th, 2016, 5:53 am

Wow, you didn't waste any time on that one. I have stuff that sits on my hikes-to-do list for months before I get to it.

What a great feeling, to look up at something from the highway and think "hmmm, I wonder if could get up there without a trail", and then pull it off. Congrats.

What a fun interesting thread this turned into!

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » November 30th, 2016, 1:01 pm

Thanks for your encouragement. :) No time like the present, right?

Only in the last few years have I dared to leave the beaten (or paved) path, thanks in no small part to trip reports from you and others here. I am still very cautious however because I am unfortunately clumsy. I currently have bruises on my shin from where I attempted to step over a guard rail but did not clear it with my foot and fell on my face. Most of the time that sort if thing is annoying at worst and I am quick to laugh at myself (just imagine how I look doing that!) but it could be fatal on a narrow ridge.

By the way I picked up another "hitchhiker" yesterday; I thought those damn things were gone or hiding at this time of year. I guess any warm day is enough to bring them out?

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » December 27th, 2016, 6:12 pm

Thanks for posting this, Chip! This spot has been on my list for a long time, though my plan was to take the easy route from the HCRH (and in fact, I was going to bike to the jump off point, making it still easier!) I'm actually interested in the longer-term possibility of a TKO project to built a short spur from the HCRH to the summit, so wanted to see what the exposure really felt like at the viewpoint.

Since you've gone to the trouble of posting this report -- and since this set of crags mysteriously does not appear in Gorge Classic Climbs -- you've got naming rights, so might I suggest a sexier name? Like Koberg Crags?

BTW, for geo-geeks, this rock mass is basically the east Gorge bookend to Crown Point, in terms of how the Bretz floods shaped the rock. Really cool spot!

Tom :)

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » December 28th, 2016, 9:27 pm

Koberg Crags would be a sensible name, Tom. :D