Wo-Mann Butte

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
K.Wagner

Wo-Mann Butte

Post by K.Wagner » October 10th, 2016, 6:39 pm

My work schedule has been very “relaxed” for over a week now. (Relaxed in that I haven't clocked in for over a week now). So, I am getting to get out in the hills much more frequently than I usually do. Stay home a day or two, then out to bag a couple more peaks, then repeat. I seriously beginning to feel that work is highly overrated!

I had been spending a lot of time in the Mt St Helens area, and frankly was getting a bit tired of it, even though that is where the majority of the summits left to do are. So, a couple of days ago, I decided to head east, to the Monte Cristo Range and grab a few peaks out there, and to check out on old road going up to Wo-Mann Butte.
16-Wo-Mann Butte-S.jpg
Here seen from Little Huckleberry Mtn to the SW.
So, out Hwy 14 to a couple miles past the Dog Mountain TH to the Cook Underwood Road. Then about 5 miles up to the Willard Road split. Up through Willard (the original home of the big Corliss steam engine that is in the Stevenson Museum. If you've not seen it, you have to stop in...). Then up the 66Rd along the east side of the Big Lava Bed to the South Prairie area. South Prairie is interesting because in the fall and the spring the meadow turns into a lake. A forest service plaque there tells the story that it fills because an ice plug develops in a lava tube, and stops it up. Then in the spring, the ice melts and it drains. BOGUS! That doesn't explain how the lake can form in the fall. What is really happening is that the meadow is not dirt, but gravel that has washed down. It's porous. As long as the inflow exceeds the percolation rate it fills. But I ramble on...

At the meadow, I turned east on the 6610 Rd. A few miles of easy driving got me to my spot on the map, but there was absolutely no sign of the road I was looking for. Then I spotted the clue. There was a berm, that really had no business being there. With just a little exploring I confirmed that this was it, the old 726 Rd, that is still on the maps. Topo MapIt was initially a little difficult to follow, because it was on a flat area. Then suddenly it becomes obvious as it begins to traverse. A little messy for sure, but easily followed. (This picture was taken going up, I did quite a bit of cleaning on the way down)

<Lower road picture>
23-FR726-S.jpg
After about a 1/3 mile, it cleared up a lot, and was easy to walk.
<Upper road picture>
16-FR726-S.jpg

After 3/4 of a mile, and only 180 feet of climbing the road abruptly stops. But then when you look through the trees, you can see it. See what? To me, one of the most awesome scenes that illustrates the forces of Ma Nature, particularly in the otherwise somewhat mundane South Cascades of Washington.
These pictures are from left to right
17-Wo-Mann slab-1-S.jpg
18-Wo-Mann slab-2-S.jpg
19-Wo-Mann slab-3-S.jpg
20-Wo_Mann slab pano-S.jpg
This bare bedrock face is close to 1,000 feet wide and 600 feet high. It is the result of a slide, that sheared the face. (edit: DN insists that it is the result of the last ice flow. Sorry, I don't see it, yes there are what appear to be drag lines across the face, but the basin shape doesn't fit ice sliding across it. And, I don't think that it would still be this bare after 3,500 years.) Rock climbers have discovered this slope and there are now several bolted routes in place. (Bolts because there are NO cracks for pins or cams) Here are 2 belay anchors. The climbing here comes under the category of "Friction".
20-Belay anchors-S.jpg
The summit can be seen on the right edge of Pic 1 / left edge of Pic 2. From this point it is a steep, but non-technical grunt up.

Here's a picture from the other road shown on the maps. Badly overgrown, don't try it!
07-Wo-Mann Butte-S.jpg
Here seen from the 722 Rd, directly below the face
This picture is just below the summit, looking southish across the bare slide at Little Huckleberry. Off to the right in the distance is a bit of the Big Lava Bed. The lighting is better on this one!
08-Little Huckleberry-S.jpg
So if you want to get out for a scenic drive and feel a little awed without a whole lot of work, try it! You've got probably a month yet to get in there before the snow flies!
Last edited by K.Wagner on October 13th, 2016, 3:12 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Kelly
There is no shortcut to anyplace worth going to.

PM me about the soon to be released:
Skamania 231
"How to really get off the beaten path in Skamania County"

Chip Down

Re: Wo-Mann Butte

Post by Chip Down » October 11th, 2016, 8:13 pm

What we have here is a TR without a dramatic exciting destination, or captivating beautiful pictures...but it's fascinating anyway! I might want to add this to my to-do list.

K.Wagner

Post by K.Wagner » October 13th, 2016, 3:06 pm

Chop Down (edit: Chip Down, sorry :oops:, but aren't chips the result of chops?? :roll: )

The lighting conditions were not exactly optimum for stunning pictures. I elected to not summit this one, largely because the clouds were blowing through the summit trees.
There is also a climber's trail that goes up from the sharp switch back just below the face, but if you miss it, the brush is pretty thick.
Last edited by K.Wagner on October 14th, 2016, 9:09 am, edited 3 times in total.
Kelly
There is no shortcut to anyplace worth going to.

PM me about the soon to be released:
Skamania 231
"How to really get off the beaten path in Skamania County"

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » October 13th, 2016, 3:24 pm

Chop Down?

Good one : )

(I'm guessing that was just a typo)

-Q-

Post by -Q- » October 18th, 2016, 11:01 am

Wow, that's awesome!!
My gut sides with you on the theory of a slide. But don's glacier theory is also plausible. Any slide remnants below the slab to yield a hint??
Very cool.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » October 18th, 2016, 5:06 pm

-Q- wrote:Wow, that's awesome!!
My gut sides with you on the theory of a slide. But don's glacier theory is also plausible. Any slide remnants below the slab to yield a hint??
Very cool.
No, no obvious slide remnants and that's what makes me think it could have been glaciated. The stream below is way too small to have removed much debris, either, and is intermittent at best. The slope faces just slightly north of west and during the last major ice age, could have supported a small glacier, or even been affected by a large ice sheet moving south from the higher terrain to the north. The rock face goes from about 3550' elevation to about 3850' and the documented glacier extent during the last ice age went to near sea level in many cases. I have yet to find a sufficiently detailed map of the area showing ice age glacier extent in the area. There are no obvious moraines or other features of glaciation but lava flows and other volcanic activity after the last ice age could easily have covered them and such activity (The Big Lava Bed adjacent). In any event, the rock face on this peak is an impressive - and odd, feature. Here are some more photos taken on an earlier trip:

This photo shows the upper reaches of the face. Note the truncated columnar basalt in the right center:

Close up of previous. If this was a slide, why are the basalt columns rounded off?

Here is another view of the face, again, showing some basalt columns farther to the south of the previous:

Close up of previous. Also rounded off:

I rest my case.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

-Q-

Post by -Q- » October 18th, 2016, 6:52 pm

could water running down the slab, over time, weather the basalt into rounded edges??

The striations on the rock are interesting. They don't really look glacial, but they don't look like they really belong either. Very odd.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » October 18th, 2016, 7:37 pm

-Q- wrote:could water running down the slab, over time, weather the basalt into rounded edges??

The striations on the rock are interesting. They don't really look glacial, but they don't look like they really belong either. Very odd.
Water, with the help of the slight acidity in rain might do the trick given enough time but where else have you seen this? A few years ago I was hiking in the Mt. Baker area and saw rounded off basalt columns very similar to this with small, but obvious glacial striations. I see no striations here but this face gets a lot more exposure to sun and rain than what I saw at Mt. Baker.

I guess I have to go back and do a more thorough examination. For anyone interested, here is a map of how to get there. This is a short distance to the NE of The Big Lava Bed in south central Skamania county off road 66. the name "Wo-Mann" is a local, not official name and a take-off of nearby Mann Butte.

-dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

-Q-

Post by -Q- » October 19th, 2016, 7:45 pm

Good point don. I have no other example of water weathered basalt to bring into the discussion.

The vertical striations in your last photo keep bugging me though. In person, do those look like grooves cut into the rock by water runoff??

My theory of water runoff is mainly based on those striations. If water runoff cut those gooves, I was thinking maybe they could weather the basalt ridges (either through water force or extended time or both).

If those are not water cut grooves, my theory falls apart quickly.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » October 20th, 2016, 6:01 am

K.Wagner wrote:These pictures are from left to right
If you do this even occasionally, you should check out Microsoft ICE. It's a free tool that'll stitch your shots together, with generally fairly decent results:
  • 17-Wo-Mann slab-stitch.jpg
-Q- wrote:The vertical striations in your last photo keep bugging me though. In person, do those look like grooves cut into the rock by water runoff??
Those are extremely puzzling, yes! They don't appear to be something water would do, though. Especially as they seem to squidge across the fall line? Almost like layering, but too regular for that, too. Very odd.
Don Nelsen wrote:I see no striations here
I think these are the features Q is referring to. (Definitely the ones that caught my eye!)
  • 19-Wo-Mann slab-3-S.jpg
    Striations? Layering? Who knows?
Don Nelsen wrote:No, no obvious slide remnants and that's what makes me think it could have been glaciated.
There are no obvious moraines or other features of glaciation but lava flows and other volcanic activity after the last ice age could easily have covered them and such activity (The Big Lava Bed adjacent).
Could the same sorts of activity you suggest might have hidden moraines also have done the same with slide debris? Very intriguing, all in all. Those basalt columns are bizarre. I wonder why they might be sticking up in the first place? (Was the surrounding rock worn away?) Definitely odd.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...