Redwood "There is always a bigger one" Van Pelt ~ New Find

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
mdvaden

Re: Redwood "There is always a bigger one" Van Pelt ~ New Fi

Post by mdvaden » October 2nd, 2016, 8:31 pm

Thought I'd share an image that I just used to order a 40 x 60 print canvas. A 20 x 30 test print was okay, but hopefully the full size shows the small details like individual needles around the trunk. Taken with a Canon 5DS ... f/11 ... 1/2 sec ... ISO 500

And one update, coast redwood species now surpasses General Sherman's 1321 champion tree points by no less than 40 points. Different species, but if the coast redwood were nominated, it would become the national big tree among all nominated tree species. But it won't be nominated. We quit nominating the biggest ones now.
Attachments
GF_Ari_Cnvs_Sample.jpg

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » October 6th, 2016, 8:34 pm

Amazing stuff. I can't imagine seeing trees this size in life, especially the one in Brünnhilde Gulch.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

Peder

Post by Peder » October 7th, 2016, 12:10 am

It is a 6" Barbie doll standing next to the tree!
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Charley

Post by Charley » October 8th, 2016, 8:00 am

I'm sad that there are negative impacts from disclosure. On the other hand, documenting and researching these trees has an almost religious appeal to me. These trees are monuments to the strength of biological processes of our planet. I can't think of better symbols of Nature. The photo at the bottom of your post, of the giant (double?) trunk in Brunnhilde Gulch is amazing. Well done.
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

mdvaden

Post by mdvaden » October 13th, 2016, 11:27 pm

Charley wrote:I'm sad that there are negative impacts from disclosure. On the other hand, documenting and researching these trees has an almost religious appeal to me. These trees are monuments to the strength of biological processes of our planet. I can't think of better symbols of Nature. The photo at the bottom of your post, of the giant (double?) trunk in Brunnhilde Gulch is amazing. Well done.
It's sort of a photo to fulfill what we decided not to publish. The man is actually standing by something, that if I were to post the full redwood image I took of it singly, it may be as stunning as the artistic composition shown for the Brunhilde Gulch.

I'm switching gears this year to photographing different compositions and revisiting some groves, more so than discovery. Although, I'm sure I'll spot something even when I'm not searching. The wet season arrived, and I'm itching to get back in there. Best time of year for photos there and the air is so fresh feeling.

mdvaden

Post by mdvaden » October 13th, 2016, 11:31 pm

Peder wrote:It is a 6" Barbie doll standing next to the tree!

No Barbie ... real skin
Attachments
AM_Glance_1200.jpg

Peder

Post by Peder » October 16th, 2016, 8:52 pm

mdvaden wrote:
Peder wrote:It is a 6" Barbie doll standing next to the tree!

No Barbie ... real skin
And very beautiful skin at that. Good for you that you manage to visit the big trees so frequently!
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » November 14th, 2016, 12:34 pm

That's really cool, Mario! Thanks for all your work in documenting these -- let's hope we (as a civilization) can manage to keep the remaining stands intact for whoever follows behind us to see.

Tom :)

mdvaden

Post by mdvaden » December 17th, 2016, 11:29 am

Splintercat wrote:That's really cool, Mario! Thanks for all your work in documenting these -- let's hope we (as a civilization) can manage to keep the remaining stands intact for whoever follows behind us to see.

Tom :)
Redwood forest land purchases for preservation seem to keep happening.

As long as new trees keep reproducing at the rate the big ones occasionally fall during storms, there should be lots of them in the future.

mdvaden

Post by mdvaden » February 14th, 2017, 8:17 pm

Finally have all the measurements for the giant coast redwood we found in 2014. The total is 1357 points.

We are breaking with tradition and won't be nominating it t the national big tree registry. Otherwise it surpasses all others, including General Sherman's 1321 points too.

The past two years, the following coast redwood is probably my favorite. Referred to as "Darth Vader".