Grouse Point #517 trail work w/Advocates + Parrywinkle Falls

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
BrianEdwards

Grouse Point #517 trail work w/Advocates + Parrywinkle Falls

Post by BrianEdwards » July 6th, 2013, 6:39 pm

Had a great day out today with three other trail advocates, cleaning up the Grouse Point #517 trail. We made a side trip to Perrywinkle Falls, and an even longer side trip down to the rarely seen South Fork Roaring River.

Companions for the day were Paul Turner (pablo), Rob Williams (RobFromRedland), and Kirk T.

Trailhead on FR 4611. From left to right: Kirk, Paul, & Rob

Trail sign

From the end of the drive-able road, there's three forks. The trail is located down the middle one. You walk down the road for atleast 1/8 mile, then it begins unceremoniously at this shot up stick.

This trail starts out innocent enough, but soon drops off the hill in very steep fashion. The trail more-or-less goes directly down the extremely steep canyon of the Roaring River.

Because of the steep/direct nature of the path, one is at the river fairly quickly, with alot of elevation loss behind them. We cleared the trail of all sticks and logs on the way down, except for one large one that's easy to step over. We immediately turned upstream on the trail and headed for Perrywinkle Falls. A couple hundred feet of heading up the river, the trail turns and ends at the river, and the bushwack begins. We had to cross a very soft bog, and climb back up the hill into the forest to catch a bench in the hill. It really wasn't bad walking, and we were quickly at Perrywinkle Falls.

Perrywinkle Falls with the Average Camera Pro App on iPhone 5

Video

We returned to the end of the trail, and now had to cross the river. Kirk and Paul waded across, while me and Rob crossed on the log that has fallen right at the trail crossing. No other logs are laying across the river in this whole stretch, so its very lucky having this one fall where it did.

Rob crossing the log

Right uphill from the log is the rarely used continuation of the Grouse Point trail. The trail is in pretty good shape, and we cleared all logs and sticks on the trail.

Paul sawing a log with Kirk keeping tension

We went 1/2 mile or so up the trail, gaining several hundred feet of elevation. At a flat plateau in the side of the canyon, we made our way off trail to the elusive South Fork of the Roaring River. Not many folks venture out to this river, located in the middle of a nearly-trailess wilderness. The going was only moderately difficult for experienced bushwackers. Along the way, we found this HUGE pile of bear scat. It was giant. It smelled of rotten berries

Kirk's foot for scale

We had to cross a scenic creek

As we descended down into the canyon, we eventually got our first view of the South Fork Roaring River. Paul was the only one of us that had laid eyes on this river prior to today.

More

We crossed on a big log jam, and headed upstream to potentially locate another waterfall a kayaker found years ago.

We went a good 600 ft upstream, and reached a spot where we could see far upriver, but no waterfall could be seen. There was a big log across the river ahead, so we made our way to it.

This would be the furthest into the wilderness that we got. We sat on a pile of logs and had lunch, then made our way back up the canyon wall to the Grouse Point trail. The going was brutal in some spots, but we eventually made it up the ridge and found the trail.

Along the way up the trail the first time, we found a spot that someone had made a sizeable trail that cutoff a large switchback. We decided to eliminate the new user trail, and clean up the nearly abandoned switchback section. I should have gotten more before and after shots, but was busy cutting sticks, and clearing the tread of debris.

One before & after I did capture:

Before:

After:

We cleared several large logs that we had decided to skip on the way in, which made the trail 100% clean. I'm happy to declare that the Grouse Point trail from 4611, down to the Roaring River, and up the other side for 3/4 mile is completely clear and hikeable!

We made it back to the log and crossed the river in each the same manner as the first.

Then we made the brutal climb back up to the road on the trail. This trail is the steepest official trail I've hiked to date. It was very much a purpose-built trail, with families not it. Eventually we all made it back to the rigs, huffin and puffin.

5+ miles, and ~2,200 EG

Great day out in the Roaring River Wilderness. Thanks Paul for setting this up, and another thanks for Rob and Kirk for a great day out. If one of you guys has a map of our path, I'd enjoy seeing it.
Last edited by BrianEdwards on July 23rd, 2013, 4:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Clackamas River Waterfall Project - 95 Documented, 18 to go.

RobFromRedland

Re: Grouse Point #517 trail work w/Advocates + Perrywinkle F

Post by RobFromRedland » July 6th, 2013, 8:05 pm

Wow, Brian! You didn't waste any time in posting the trip report! It was an awesome day - thanks for setting it up. I love that river - I Can see another trip to it is in my future.

Here is map of our day.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

pablo

Post by pablo » July 6th, 2013, 8:44 pm

Thx Brian for posting the TR, photos, and Rob, thanks for the map of the trip. I can see from Rob's map we did not go far enough south on the 517 before cutting over to the South Fork. I thought we were further up but we didn't even make it to where the west side canyon really steepens. Not an easy place to get to and worth another visit - maybe from the Dry Ridge side.

--Paul
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards » July 7th, 2013, 9:06 am

Ya guys, great day! Doing trail work was fun, especially with 4 of us. I'm hooked. The Roaring River proper was a nice new experience as well. The trail out wasn't for the faint of heart, but still worth it.

Rustygoat

Post by Rustygoat » July 7th, 2013, 4:09 pm

Very cool that you guys cleaned up that trail, thank you! :D Perrywinkle Falls looks pretty cool, another to put on my list of Clackamas Falls to see. Thanks for the report, pictures and most of all your trail work. :D
Tim

Chasing waterfalls can be addictive.
NW Off-trail Waterfalls -Facebook Group

forestkeeper

Post by forestkeeper » July 7th, 2013, 9:08 pm

:) Thanks guys for your hard work. I just can't picture Trail Advocate guys with little tiny camp saws whittling away on logs. :lol: But its the thought (and effort) that counts!!! Just curious why the typical
4x8 clearing limit wasn't used. And would you suggest some switchbacks be installed.

Will

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 7th, 2013, 9:39 pm

Amazing how big a log you can cut with such a small saw

BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards » July 7th, 2013, 9:55 pm

nwtrailape wrote::) Thanks guys for your hard work. I just can't picture Trail Advocate guys with little tiny camp saws whittling away on logs. :lol: But its the thought (and effort) that counts!!! Just curious why the typical
4x8 clearing limit wasn't used. And would you suggest some switchbacks be installed.

Will
Thanks Will.

Regarding saws, this trip was more recreational in nature, not a work assignment type. Paul and Rob had saws, I just had small loppers. Paul and his super human strength did a majority of the sawing. His saw is a specialty one, forget the name, but it made good time going through logs. I was impressed to say the least.

If we would have followed the 4x8 specs, we'd still be out there. :) The goal was simply to make this obscure trail hike able and clear it as best we could. I wouldn't think switchbacks would be required, it has alot of em already, it was just alot more rapid elevation gain then some of us were used to (Paul being the exception!).

The biggest log that we had to saw was probably at most 8" in diameter. I think it was actually the last one we did, down by the river :x Either way, Paul made good time cutting through it

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » July 8th, 2013, 5:57 am

nwtrailape wrote::) Thanks guys for your hard work. I just can't picture Trail Advocate guys with little tiny camp saws whittling away on logs. :lol: But its the thought (and effort) that counts!!! Just curious why the typical

Will
It is amazing how much good you can do with small hand tools - especially with 4 guys. And Brian is right - if we did a "standard" 4x8 clearing of that trail, we would still be there. If you've never been on Grouse Point before, it is very much a forgotten trail - especially on the west end - and even MORE so after crossing the roaring river-there is no bridge and it is challenging even in low water. It gets VERY little attention from anyone, as it is hard to get to, and a difficult trail to hike. I don't think that trail has seen a 4x8 standard clearing in 30 years or more-if ever. I don't know if the FS has ever done any maintenance to it. The only maintenance I know is from volunteers. (as is typical in the Clackamas district).

As far as the saw goes, I think they are called Silky Saws - they are a Japanese design and have a very aggressive cut. The FS gave a bunch of them to some of the trailadvocates several years ago (not me), and I think Paul bought that one himself. They are a great saw, although rather expensive.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

forestkeeper

Post by forestkeeper » July 8th, 2013, 6:48 am

:D Well cheers to each of you and you guys are awesome!!! I wish it was in my power to supply you guys with more equipment, so for now I'll just give you my 110% support. On any upcoming events, I can supply you with water and snacks. ;) Thanks again!!!

Will