Nick Eaton to Herman Creek cross-country

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
jointhedance

Nick Eaton to Herman Creek cross-country

Post by jointhedance » March 4th, 2013, 10:51 pm

ebishop and I set off for Green Point Mtn. March 4 (Monday), heading up Nick Eaton trail 447. The snow line is around 3,200' and its condition is concrete-hard and ice-glazed. I used snow shoes, but Elisabeth found the micro-spikes seemed best. We hunkered down in the lee of a brush-covered mound for lunch, just north of the Gorton Creek Trail 408. We had a view of Tomlike Mountain and Tanner Butte. The sun was bright but a strong wind and temps in the 20's neutralized the solar warming. We had made the elevation threshold for whiskey, so on account of my cold fingers and toes, I made a start on the Laphroaig E had brought and opened the St. Peter's to share. E was immediately drawn to the Herman Creek Basin before us to the west, so after a leisurely lunch time we headed south, off-trail, to find the way cross-country down to the Herman Creek Trail. We came to an acres-wide boulder field, easily negotiable over a hardened mantle of snow and turned west to descend just north of the Mullinex Creek drainage. A 2-hour stroll through light brushy undergrowth and deadfall landed us on the Herman Creek Trail No. 406 right at Mullinix Creek. We had a greentrails map, no gps.
At the gas station in Cascade Locks, Elisabeth began eying the Rudolph Creek draw to the south. This steep gully seems to be calling her off-trail, and we may head up there soon, necessarily before the poison oak leafs out.
Attachments
Mullinix Creek.jpg
snow-covered boulder field
Beth, accessorized for cross-country.jpg

Peder

Re: Nick Eaton to Herman Creek cross-country

Post by Peder » March 5th, 2013, 8:07 am

That is quite the off-trail descent! That must be close to 2,000' of elevation loss...
Rudolph Creek draw to the south. This steep gully seems to be calling her off-trail, and we may head up there soon,
Beware, the vegetation at the lower end of that creek is very dense (I do not know about further up). Best loop around there is probably to go up the Ridge above Ruckel Creek and down the Rudolph Spur. Have fun. If you two are free Friday, there may be a snowshoe invite coming up (sorry - no creek crossings or other drama planned! :( )
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

ebishop

Post by ebishop » March 5th, 2013, 12:24 pm

Haha I have no intention of going DOWN Rudolf. I just want to go up. Down would suck .

Peder

Post by Peder » March 5th, 2013, 3:21 pm

ebishop wrote:Haha I have no intention of going DOWN Rudolf. I just want to go up. Down would suck .
I enjoy going down it, it is actually very pleasant!
DSC06128.jpg
It is even nicer if you follow the ridge rather than the trail on the upper part. May 2012
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

jointhedance

Post by jointhedance » March 11th, 2013, 2:44 pm

Peder wrote:
ebishop wrote:Haha I have no intention of going DOWN Rudolf. I just want to go up. Down would suck .
I enjoy going down it, it is actually very pleasant!
DSC06128.jpg
Rudolph Spur is a waytrail, no? Rudolph Creek is what I figured to be the name of the drainage above which is a gully/draw. Two different routes, i think. Rudolph Spur looks nice.

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » March 11th, 2013, 6:21 pm

I would go down Rudolph Spur any day rather than going down Ruckel Ridge or even Ruckel Creek,
dumps you out way faster so less miles of awful hurty downhill I think! :)