Russ Jolly - Kueffler Rd. to Duncan Creek - 05/20/12

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
Guy

Russ Jolly - Kueffler Rd. to Duncan Creek - 05/20/12

Post by Guy » May 21st, 2012, 4:10 pm

Two weeks ago we explored the old Russ Jolly trail West of Duncan Creek, Sunday we headed out to explore the section East of Duncan Creek to Kueffler Road. We did this as a car shuttle hike begining at the Kueffler Road end. The unmarked trailhead is 3 miles up Kueffler Road from the Highway 14 junction.

The trail heads off through some very green forest, in fact the whole route was very green :) ..

The first unnamed creek crossing is very easy thanks to a long ago fallen old growth tree. Lots of luscious greenery including these Skunk Cabbages.

This is a bonafide historical trail relic, one of Russ's old wollen hats, Its been chewed on by the Elk :) ..

The first Falls we saw were on Woodward Creek. Russ had a campspot above these falls that he called Big Moma so that seems a suitable name for the Falls, a really lovely spot!

Image Image

After Big Moma we headed down the East side of the creek for a short distance to Potholes Slide with it's deep round pools of water.

The trail crosses the creek here but we made a slight detour to see Lower Woodward Falls that are just below the trail crossing.

We had to scramble back out the canyon to regain the trail.

Brad & Jamie climbing out the canyon to regain the trail. (You only have to go this way if you want to see the lower falls).

From here it was on to the Woodward West Fork Crossing..

Ardith & Don Crossing West Woodward.

From here we hiked through some lovely woodland over to Duncan Creek.

There is a great view point just East of Duncan Creek but there were no views to be had on this rainy day. We also decided not to fight the wet brush to get photos of Railcar Falls but after crossing the Railcar Bridge we did stop at Apron Falls which already had significantly less water than it did 2 weeks ago.

Image Image
Apron Falls May 6th versus May 20th

Below Apron Falls are Quad Falls you have to leave the trail & scramble along the gorge side to see them though.

There is another waterfall below Quad Falls that is pretty easy to see from just off the trail.

Shortly after this waterfall the trail comes to the popular spot on Duncan creek were the East side trail ends there are the remains of the old water wheel or whatever it was there. For the first time I also noticed there is another poor cabled tree there too. It's a lovely spot on the creek.

Image Image

From here in order to keep our feet dry we did the detour over to the West Duncan Fork just above the road to make use of the log bridge!

We were rained on for much of the route but it was still a great few hours of exploring in the woods!
Lots more wet, drippy & out of focus photos here!

This route is not too well defined yet, though most of it is flagged some trail finding skills will come in handy until a few more people have hiked it. Here is a map:

In preparation for the plan to hike from Table to Archer this Summer I am now clear on the route from Kueffler Road West. The next exploration will be from this same spot on Kueffler road East over Phlox Point, tagging Hamilton Mt. & finding a good way down to a Hamilton Creek crossing.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Born2BBrad

Re: Russ Jolly - Kueffler Rd. to Duncan Creek - 05/20/12

Post by Born2BBrad » May 21st, 2012, 7:46 pm

Great pictures Guy! I only took a few, plus the video of DN and Jamie dropping the snag

Don and Jamie dropping a snag along the trail

Jamie and Guy stretching to get the best shot:

Guy and Jamie after scrambling down to Duncan Creek:

Don, I hope your neck is OK after the fall you had.

Good hiking,
Brad
Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.
- Jean Luc Picard

Link to GPX tracks
Link to Trip Reports

beag

Post by beag » May 21st, 2012, 8:31 pm

Two snaggers if ever there were one.

Peder

Post by Peder » May 21st, 2012, 8:49 pm

This seems a beautiful area that I do not know, or maybe Guy's camera just had an extraordinary day! I hope that I do not have an appointment with my Mother-in-Law (she is very sweet) when the next exploration is scheduled.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Sore Feet

Post by Sore Feet » May 25th, 2014, 9:51 am

I attempted to access the waterfalls on Woodward Creek via this trail yesterday. I found the trailhead off Kueffler Road easy enough, but at the first creek crossing I could see zero evidence of where the trail continued, and I ended up turning back. Turns out the log that I tried to cross on was exactly where I wanted to go, but currently there's another log pinned vertically against it which makes walking across it nearly impossible right now. But at least this confirms I was on the right route. Would really be nice to see this trail get a bit of guerrilla maintenance.

Additionally, I noticed at the end of the paved segment of Kueffler Road there's a sign that says No Trespassing Permitted that seems to have been posted by Longview Fibre. There are a couple of private residence up there, and lots of Posted signs along the sides of the road, but no gate or any other such indication that travel along the road is restricted. I was under the impression that Longview allowed recreational access on their land, so I'm not sure what to make of this No Trespassing sign. Anyone have any input?

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » May 25th, 2014, 6:32 pm

Sore Feet wrote:I attempted to access the waterfalls on Woodward Creek via this trail yesterday. I found the trailhead off Kueffler Road easy enough, but at the first creek crossing I could see zero evidence of where the trail continued, and I ended up turning back. Turns out the log that I tried to cross on was exactly where I wanted to go, but currently there's another log pinned vertically against it which makes walking across it nearly impossible right now. But at least this confirms I was on the right route. Would really be nice to see this trail get a bit of guerrilla maintenance.

Additionally, I noticed at the end of the paved segment of Kueffler Road there's a sign that says No Trespassing Permitted that seems to have been posted by Longview Fibre. There are a couple of private residence up there, and lots of Posted signs along the sides of the road, but no gate or any other such indication that travel along the road is restricted. I was under the impression that Longview allowed recreational access on their land, so I'm not sure what to make of this No Trespassing sign. Anyone have any input?
The sign has been there for many years if it is the one I think it is. It's the only way in to the national forest so I believe it is not an "official" sign. Been ignoring it for years.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

beag

Post by beag » June 7th, 2017, 6:04 am

The remains of Russ's hat disappeared last year. Maybe the Ghost of Russ still hikes the area.We were in there a few weeks back and cleared a lot of the storm damage. The area is so lush so that it can get overgrown real fast so sections of the trail can disappear in one year. The only section we have not walked this year is from Woodward Creek West to where Powerlines cross old road.

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » June 7th, 2017, 7:31 pm

Capture.JPG