Cabin Creek Ridge, May 19, 2012

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
Easyrider

Re: Cabin Creek Ridge, May 19, 2012

Post by Easyrider » September 4th, 2012, 9:40 am

Hey Paul and Peder...

After a fair amount of exploration it's time to ask a few questions.

I saw nothing that even remotely resembled a trail going up Cabin Creek Ridge per the topo map you posted. In retrospect I'm wondering if I should have strolled up to the top and looked around. Found absolutely nothing off of the Starvation Ridge trail heading West that looked promising.

Went up to an area that is probably more accurately described as Warren Creek ridge that has seen traffic but didn't get too far before it became clear that I needed to seek out more information before continuing.

I posted a very detailed trip report (link below). Wondering if you could have a look and tell me where I went wrong. As usual, I would love the opportunity to tag along on some of your less "loonie" adventures. Julie and I really enjoy going the "road less traveled".. but we try to keep it to a manageable level of risk.

http://www.theoriginaleasyrider.com/cab ... _ridge.htm

Many thanks in advance!
Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from surviving bad judgment. ~Rita Mae Brown

pablo

Post by pablo » September 4th, 2012, 12:21 pm

Easyrider wrote:Hey Paul and Peder...

After a fair amount of exploration it's time to ask a few questions.

I saw nothing that even remotely resembled a trail going up Cabin Creek Ridge per the topo map you posted. In retrospect I'm wondering if I should have strolled up to the top and looked around. Found absolutely nothing off of the Starvation Ridge trail heading West that looked promising.

Went up to an area that is probably more accurately described as Warren Creek ridge that has seen traffic but didn't get too far before it became clear that I needed to seek out more information before continuing.

I posted a very detailed trip report (link below). Wondering if you could have a look and tell me where I went wrong. As usual, I would love the opportunity to tag along on some of your less "loonie" adventures. Julie and I really enjoy going the "road less traveled".. but we try to keep it to a manageable level of risk.

http://www.theoriginaleasyrider.com/cab ... _ridge.htm

Many thanks in advance!
Hey Easyrider,

There's no trail on Cabin Creek Ridge, it is an off-trail adventure hike - what I posted is my GPS track. From the photo and description it looks like you started in the right place - just head south towards the tower and keep going, no trail necessary, just follow the ridge. There is that scramble I mentioned in the report, your call if you are comfortable, you might be able to go around it - in my second visit to this route it seemed a little easier the second time. Safe to say you won't be seeing anyone.

If you want to go on to Warren Lake, it is a steep but fairly clear route on up - just keep going south. Look at the map I posted at the end of my second visit for the continuation to Warren Lake:

http://www.portlandhikers.org/forum/vie ... 10&t=11924

I can provide a GPX track if you like.

That next ridge west (Warren Creek Ridge is a good name for it, I think) that you visited is interesting, I've not explored that one. Looked cliffy to me.

--Paul
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Easyrider

Post by Easyrider » September 4th, 2012, 12:49 pm

Thanks for the clarification Paul. Hearing more details makes much more sense to me now that I've fully explored the area under discussion. We'll plan on going back in the next few weeks and will go at least as far as the scramble next time. Looking the area over I think it would be difficult to get hopelessly lost up there but we shall see.

I'm actually *MORE* interested in the Warren Creek Ridge option now that you've indicated that it *ISN'T* an [semi]established trail. I'll probably need to take along a saw though since it's not very easy going (but could be with a little work). This one should dump you right into the Warren Lake area and would make for a dandy loop hike. We'll head back there and see if we can blaze a reasonable trail South up there.

Yep, it's VERY cliffy and looking at the map it isn't clear that there are any obvious ridge routes. Looks pretty steep for the entire 4-5 miles.
Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from surviving bad judgment. ~Rita Mae Brown

Peder

Post by Peder » September 4th, 2012, 2:33 pm

Easyrider - You were in the correct spot with the pylon (your second picture).
I'll probably need to take along a saw though since it's not very easy going (but could be with a little work).
It would take forever if you try to make some kind of trail... Just go on the leave no trace principle, having as little impact as possible on the ridge as you go up.

Paul - I did the ridge in July and came back down the Viento ridge. The Viento ridge is covered in blowdown, so travel is very strenuous! That could be a result of the winter storms... The Cabin Creek Ridge is a great find. :D
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…