Cedar Falls - Cedar Mtn - PCT little loop 4/8/12

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
romann

Cedar Falls - Cedar Mtn - PCT little loop 4/8/12

Post by romann » April 8th, 2012, 10:01 pm

Finally did this little loop - started from Aldrich Butte TH and went clockwise. There is a trail/use path for maybe 95% of the way and where obscure it was well flagged so its not a bushwhack per se. However, it turned out to be a lot more elevation gain than I expected - I'd rate it harder than nearby Hamilton Mtn. I didn't have to deal with brush or snow at all, just several steep ups and downs and minimal route finding.

Cedar Falls is beautiful now in high water. The scramble along Cedar ridge is very interesting with many small meadows and nice drop-offs (be careful though as dropoffs are not solid rock but rather gravel glued with clay/sand - it's not a good idea to stand on the edge). Many grass widow flowers in places. We spooked more than a dozen of elk just north of Cedar Mtn but didn't have time to take a picture. Lots of cougar sign along the route.

Approximate route

Cedar Falls

Small falls just above Big Cedar Falls, as visible from main trail

Scramble up Cedar Mtn - hiking along the edge where trees grow in all directions

Hamilton Creek drainage and North Bonneville

East face of Hamilton. There are a many views of Hamilton (mostly through trees) from Cedar but none of Table or Aldrich. There is one view of Table north of Cedar Mt, as you're nearing the PCT

Grass widows were at their peak - they're just in a few spots but come in great amounts

As many grass widows per square yard as I've ever seen!

The narrow meadow runs - with few interruptions - along the top of the ridge

There were some manzanita flowers

Cathole - a sign of cougar

Another, very fresh cathole - looks like we spooked an animal in the middle of the job? :shock: If I counted fresh cougar catholes in those 2 miles, I'd count more than 20 for sure. It's not the place I'd be happy to hang out at night

Here's general condition of trail N of Cedar Mtn - though faint it was very well flagged and easy to see

Rock formations just south of Table Mtn

Once we hit PCT near Westway kiosk for Table, we took the trail back down to the car

Peder

Re: Cedar Falls - Cedar Mtn - PCT little loop 4/8/12

Post by Peder » April 9th, 2012, 7:45 am

As many grass widows per square yard as I've ever seen!
Amazing with all those grass widows and very beautiful! Cool with cougar hanging out on Cedar Mountain; not to mention that you meet the elusive elk...

It is an interesting area with lots of possibilities (I have yet to explore Cedar Mountain!), a couple of months ago I was exploring the logging railroad grade along Hamilton Creek.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

CuriousGorgeGuide

Post by CuriousGorgeGuide » April 9th, 2012, 9:09 am

Excellent report Romann!! I have yet to explore that ridge above the waterfall, so I appreciate your details and pix. I especially like the view of Sacajawea and Papoose Rock--nice!
cheers, scott

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » April 10th, 2012, 7:20 pm

C-c-c-c-c-cat holes...? TWENTY..?? :shock:

Yeah, I don't really wanna be cat food in this life... :lol:

(nice report, Roman!)

-Tom :)