Viento to Starvation, the hard way

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
Chip Down

Viento to Starvation, the hard way

Post by Chip Down » April 22nd, 2018, 7:48 pm

There's a one-mile level paved trail that connects Starvation Creek State Park to Viento State Park. I was pretty sure there had to be a more difficult way to cover that mile.

You'll notice lower Viento Ridge splits into three scenic bare lobes, with the western lobe being the most poorly defined. I've been up the western lobe before, starting at Starvation, up to Warren Lake and down the Defiance trail. Today I wanted to start at Viento SP, explore the east and center lobes, and drop down to Starvation SP, finishing with the paved trail back to Viento SP.

It went according to plan: up the east lobe, down the center lobe, traverse west, explore the complex western lobe a bit, drop down. It wasn't nearly as interesting as it looked though. There were fun moments, but nothing extraordinary. Wygant to the east, and Cabin Creek Ridge to the west, offer better offtrail hikes. Still, I'm glad I finally did this. It was fun in its own way.
Attachments
1.jpg
about an hour from the car, after much miserable steep bushwhacking, I was rewarded with this
2.jpg
a little higher up the east lobe
3.jpg
one of the obstacles on the east lobe
4.jpg
coming down the center lobe
5.jpg
I knew this would be my last good rest spot before Starvation park, so I lingered here a bit.
6.jpg
7.jpg
check out all that bolted hardware
8.JPG
Viento Ridge(s) at center, Starvation at right

Bosterson

Re: Viento to Starvation, the hard way

Post by Bosterson » April 22nd, 2018, 9:38 pm

1) Did you clean out the Estonian shelf at John's Market before this hike?

2) Where is there a sport climbing spot in the eastern section of the Oregon Gorge? Was that down by Viento SP? And who leaves a rope - or is it under development...?
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

Chip Down

Re: Viento to Starvation, the hard way

Post by Chip Down » April 23rd, 2018, 5:04 am

1) I'm an east-side guy, so no John's.
2) l noticed a trail departing the paved path, so went to investigste. I too thought it odd to abandon ropes. Neat little waterfall up there as well.