Looks like that must have been fun, but where was I?

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
Chip Down

Looks like that must have been fun, but where was I?

Post by Chip Down » August 20th, 2017, 7:56 pm

Woke this morning with a brutal hangover and a huge goose egg on my head. Last thing I remember was driving in the rain, amazed at that because rain wasn't in the forecast. I needed a hike with zero chance of eclipse traffic insanity. Picked something that's been on my to-do list since I did a variation in 2011 and decided this would be worth a follow-up. I started in the dark, struggled a bit with a confusing network of social trails, and finally resorted to GPS to confirm I was going the right way (only the second time I've ever done that). After that, it's all a blur. Fortunately, I kept notes associated with my pics, so at least I have some clue what I did Saturday. Take a look at the two sets of pics below and see if you can figure it out.
Attachments
a0.jpg
Strange little orphan. Wish I had a second axe so I could do a little ice bouldering. Nice sandy crashpad below.
a2.jpg
More color in here than I expected. Nice little bonus.
a3.jpg
Love the way this creek winds around, braids and converges, drops in little falls and cascades. No wonder I put it on my to-do list. Routefinding is just enough of a challenge to keep it interesting, but never a hassle.
a4.jpg
Almost to the portal (dark spot upstream). Will there be a creek above that point?
a5.jpg
Stopping here. No more ice, no creek ahead. Boring beyond here, but also dangerous. Constant rockfall, some small but some huge.
a6.jpg
Unbelievable luck. Don't have to retreat, just have to climb straight to the side to escape the canyon. But sand, sand, and more sand. Deep. Demoralizing. Sunny now, and starting to get warm.
a7.jpg
That's the next canyon over, not the one I ascended. It would be so much easier to follow that snow down there instead of this crumbly medial moraine, but just getting to it would be a challenge, and once down there the rockfall danger would be unacceptable.
a8.jpg
Notice the dark spots following the creek, corresponding to mantled ice. Also, a little higher, parallel to the creek, there's a layer of logs, which couldn't possibly have come to rest there. Almost certainly grew there, and were buried by huge landslides or volcanic activity.
a9.jpg
I didn't record any notes for this pic, but there's no need. It's obviously a tragically bad picture of a lovely snow grotto. Time stamp shows it was after sunset, so low light may have been a problem. This may have been the source of my head injury, possibly a rock dropping out of the ceiling. Last pic found on my phone.

Chip Down

Re: Looks like that must have been fun, but where was I?

Post by Chip Down » August 20th, 2017, 8:05 pm

the manmade stuff:
Attachments
b0.jpg
Okay, this is just weird.
b1.jpg
Sometimes these clearly state the location, but no such luck here.
b2.jpg
Apparently I brought a 40 lb bag of salt with me. Maybe a wacky stunt, or maybe I anticipated sweating a lot.
b3.jpg
b4.jpg
b5.jpg
Somebody must recognize this.
b6.jpg
Aha, another clue! Notice how the curved top of my jar catches the blue sky...so I was someplace where it rained before sunrise, but was sunny later. That should narrow it down. By the way, 14%ABV? Wonder how many I had.
b7.jpg
Hoppy eclipse!

Peder

Post by Peder » August 20th, 2017, 8:08 pm

If I read the story correctly, it ended with a big bang! Get well and stay safe, I love entertaining tales.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Derwood

Post by Derwood » August 21st, 2017, 2:30 pm

The Ball Pit at the Chuck E Cheese on SE 92nd & Sandy. I've awoken the same way there as well. I'm contemplating a return visit in four years when my 20-yr ban is lifted.

BigBear

Post by BigBear » August 24th, 2017, 12:01 pm

Even without your other post I was guessing Clark Canyon. Your first "man-made trash" picture looked like part of a pully system that must have gone to Mt. Hood Meadows ski lift apparatus.