Mooney Tarn from Cloud Cap Inn Aug-16-2015

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
CraigG

Mooney Tarn from Cloud Cap Inn Aug-16-2015

Post by CraigG » August 18th, 2015, 11:58 am

Greetings All -

This past Sunday, a group of us and Rigby the Hiking Dog set off to the Mooney Crash site and Mooney Tarn from Cloud Cap Inn. The weather was perfect and provided us this view at our destination - the Mooney Tarn on the North side of Mt Hood:

We took the 9+ mile forest road up to Cloud Cap Inn - 4WD high clearance vehicle recommended, but not necessary. Our starting photo from the pay station at Cloud Cap Inn:

Please note this is an offtrail, and required two crossings of the Eliot Branch Crossing. The section of the Timberline trail crossing Eliot Branch Crossing is officially closed. The Eliot Branch Crossing was the crux of this adventure, more so in the afternoon when the water flow was greater.

From Cloud Cap Inn, one needs navigation to find the Eliot Crossing east side rope among a maze of user paths. East side rope descent to the Eliot Branch Crossing:

A few folks elected to jump over the rock crossing - note - this has risk, but is doable with dry rocks:

Rigby the Hiking Dog and I chose to head upstream on the east side and cross about 300 ft higher upstream, following the cairns. I forded Eliot, holding Rigby, about here:

With the first crossing behind us, we located the west side Eliot rope and headed up, doing our best to keep reasonable spacing, using the rope only for balance, keeping reasonable spacing. Still a risk since rocks can come tumbling down at any time:

I found the roped west side to be steeper and a longer path than the east side rope.

With Eliot behind us, we headed west on a very dusty Timberline trail and spied a few waterfalls along the way to our offtrail junction:

This was our offtrail junction from Timberline trail for the ascent, heading thru this meadow and gaining the ridge:

I was surprised to see a faint user path through this section. Gets more travel than I would have thought. We started on the west side of the ridge, crossed over the ridge here, following the faint path:

Then regained the ridge from the east side to avoid a rocky outcrop, Rigby following the user path:

The ridge then widened to a series of wonderful meadows, easy to travel through:

Past this very neat natural "sculpture":

..and then onto the final meadow before the Mooney Crash site. We must have missed the flower display here (~6400 ft elevation) by approximately 2 weeks:

Rigby was the first to reach the Mooney Crash site (~6600 ft elevation) - inspecting a wing from the site:

The previously snow-loaded fuselage:

We began the short bouldering ascent to the tarn. Note - these rocks are somewhat unstable, requiring constant vigilance. The path is moderately steep, but a straight-forward approx 100-ft scramble:

The landscape leveled out to the Mooney Tarn at approximately 6800ft elevation. It was about as pleasant as it looks:

Why not take a dip in 38F water? Cold!

By the way, where is the poolside menu?

A look at the tarn from above:

The green ridge in the lower left was the ascent ridge:

Looking down at the crash site from the tarn - smoke from Mt Adams to the north:

After about 50 minutes, we descended from the tarn and returned to the Timberline trail via a ridge 0.25 miles west of our ascent ridge. About 8/10 of a mile offtrail:

Almost back on the Timberline trail - we did our best to follow existing game paths during the offtrail:

Once back on the Timberline trail, we headed east to cross the Eliot again:

I forded the Eliot Branch Crossing about 400 ft further upstream than others so I could carry Rigby across. Thank you Helen for pairing with me to verify the crossing.

Rigby waits for proper spacing on the east side Eliot Crossing:

Our adventure culminated with a dusty return to Cloud Cap Inn by 5:30pm.

Distance: 7.3 miles
Ascent: approx 2400 ft ascent, roughly 1.5 miles of this was offtrail.

A grand adventure with perfect weather. Everyone returned safe.

My opinion: I don't recommend taking a small nor medium dog across the Eliot Branch Crossing. I don't think I will purposely take Rigby across that again - the risk is too high if I had fallen while fording the crossing.

gpsfly track: http://gpsfly.org/g/4704

Peder

Re: Mooney Tarn from Cloud Cap Inn Aug-16-2015

Post by Peder » August 19th, 2015, 12:07 am

CraigG wrote:By the way, where is the poolside menu?

Rigby is saying: "It has already been 5 minutes, where is that extra rare steak and my double Martini?"
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

CraigG

Post by CraigG » August 19th, 2015, 8:26 am

Peder wrote:
CraigG wrote:By the way, where is the poolside menu?

Rigby is saying: "It has already been 5 minutes, where is that extra rare steak and my double Martini?"
Agreed! :lol:

A double Martini may have been in order considering the Eliot Crossing probably looked like a whole lot bigger to him than to a person. Some very pretty mini waterfalls on the Eliot Crossing upstream.

Guy

Post by Guy » August 19th, 2015, 4:59 pm

Funny that this old photo popped back up on my Facebook Page today. August 19th Three years ago.

Ice Bergs :)
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

CraigG

Post by CraigG » August 19th, 2015, 5:08 pm

Guy wrote:Funny that this old photo popped back up on my Facebook Page today. August 19th Three years ago.

Ice Bergs :)
Wow - look at the extent of that glacial retreat in just three years. Thank you for posting that Guy.

Rustygoat

Post by Rustygoat » September 22nd, 2015, 12:30 pm

Very cool trip Craig! Thank you for posting the map. I have been to that Upper Langillie Falls a couple of times...I just wasn't sure where the plane was. Nice pictures...always fun crossing the Eliot :P
Tim

Chasing waterfalls can be addictive.
NW Off-trail Waterfalls -Facebook Group

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » October 5th, 2015, 11:00 pm

Looks like you enjoyed a pleasant direct route that took you right there. Luck? Been there before? Lots of research? That bat-shaped snowfield in your first pic is probably the best guide for first-time visitors.

You couldn't get me in that frigid water! Although I did once take a dip in a tarn in Glacier Basin (Goat Rocks) because I wasn't going to crawl into my sleeping bag covered in sunscreen and DEET and trail dust. Yuck. (Yeah, I'm a princess :mrgreen: )

CraigG

Post by CraigG » October 6th, 2015, 10:11 am

Chip Down wrote:Looks like you enjoyed a pleasant direct route that took you right there. Luck? Been there before? Lots of research? That bat-shaped snowfield in your first pic is probably the best guide for first-time visitors.

You couldn't get me in that frigid water! Although I did once take a dip in a tarn in Glacier Basin (Goat Rocks) because I wasn't going to crawl into my sleeping bag covered in sunscreen and DEET and trail dust. Yuck. (Yeah, I'm a princess :mrgreen: )
Greetings -

We had been there before, but had only been successful in reaching the tarn in 2 of 4 attempts over the past two years. This site has a number of TRs with Mooney Tarn as the destination. I highly recommend GPS/navigation because it is too easy to get lost, and/or cliff-out over the numerous waterfalls. Good luck!