Three Off Trail Hikes: McClellan, Sorenson, and Bridal Veil

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
Skarxun

Three Off Trail Hikes: McClellan, Sorenson, and Bridal Veil

Post by Skarxun » May 18th, 2015, 2:15 pm

Hello all,

As a resident of Massachusetts, I do not often get the opportunity to contribute much to this site, so it is with great enthusiasm that I am able to share some reports from my annual trip to the northwest. While the majority of my week spent in the Portland area consists of revisiting my favorite waterfalls, I always leave time in my schedule to explore new locations--and this time, I was craving some bushwhacks.

I do apologize for the lateness of this report as it takes place over the week of April 19th

McClellan Falls

The story behind these falls has always been fascinating to me--so close to a major road, yet little is mentioned of this impressive waterfall. I made an attempt to find this waterfall back in 2013, but due to a large amount of snow on the ground, a setting sun, and hiking alone, I did not make it far and decided to return another year.

With the warmer weather, plenty of sunlight, and two hiking partners, I was met with much more favorable conditions to find McClellan falls. My research on the falls through Bryan Swan's amazing website and trip reports around the Internet all mentioned the need to find the pink flags marking the trail. From the McClellan Overlook, we walked across Curly Creek road to scan the edge of the trees for the pink flag marking the entry into the forest. While the pink flag was a bit difficult to find, the signs of people walking up and down the side of the small hill leading to the trees were quite obvious. Once those were spotted, it was easy to find the pink flag leading the way in.

From there, it was a game of "Find the pink flag" (Which takes the form of pink duct tape wrapped around a tree) to locate the route to the falls. I thank whoever marked the trail as it was very easy to follow. While the start of the hike is brushy, in just a few feet the path is obvious on the ground and quite easy to follow. At one point the path appears to head down a steep hill to your left, but the pink flags actually continue to the right. We missed this at first, headed down the hill and eventually lost sight of the flags. If you don't see a pink flag for some time, you're probably headed the wrong way. Once back on track, the sound of the falls was apparent and it was just a short time before we turned the corner and McClellan falls came into view:

The approach to the falls:

As usual, the pictures do not do the size of these falls justice. Continuing toward the falls (pictured above) leads to a moss covered slope that offers some good photo opportunities--though it is quite pristine so I avoided the temptation to scramble around it to get good photos. Instead, I wanted a down stream perspective. Now, as Bryan mentions on his site, the creek is guarded by devil's club--however, if you follow the faint path toward the creek, you will find a steep chute down that is free from the thorny plants. At the bottom is a long long that you can walk on to get some good pictures from. It is a bit skinny, so prepare yourself for awkward stances when balancing a tripod.

Downstream:

I was there around 2-4pm and the sun was in quite an unfortunate spot leaving the entire left side of the falls in harsh sunlight. As I was leaving, the sun was dipping below the tree line, so that may have been a better time to come for even light.

Before moving onto the next falls, here is a view of Falls Creek Falls, which we visited afterward. The scramble up to the middle tier (which I always just assumed was going to be very treacherous) wasn't bad at all and it's unfortunate that I never attempted it on my previous visits. I also made my way to the top their (which was a bit more challenging, and scary given the exposure at the very end) but I wasn't happy with how my pictures came out there--so here's the middle tier!

Falls Creek Falls:

Upper Bridal Veil Falls

The next day's forecast was much more rainy than the days before. This was our 6th day into our trip and with the previous days filled with 6am to 6pm hiking, we wanted to take it easy on day 6--so we decided to try Upper Bridal Veil Falls. In retrospect, the logic there isn't very sound.

This is another waterfall I attempted to visit, back in 2012, but my hiking partner at the time wasn't feeling the whole "scramble down a steep hill side which may be terrible, but may be not" description I gave. Now in 2015, I, and my hiking partner, was ready for the adventure. Driving up Palmer Mill Road is always scary for me and I didn't drive all the way up to the pull out where the trail begins--but rather parked on the pull out before it, since it is a bit wider--but boy is it on a steep slope. The main way to find the pull out (as there are many) is to look to the left of the road for a tributary stream and the next pull out, on the right, is where you need to go.

I was happy to find the trail to the falls is pretty worn in by now and it was easy to follow. It was dry for the past 4 days, so the scramble to the bottom was not nearly as bad as expected. As the many reports advise, do not head toward the falls, as there are cliffs, but rather head right down to the stream. By careful with hiking with a buddy that you don't cause any debris to tumble down toward them. We had a strategy of one person descending to a 'safe spot' and then the next person goes. From the road to the base of the falls took about 15-20 minutes, taking it reasonably slow.

Upper Bridal Veil Falls:

Hiking back out was easier than going in--but I prefer going up than down. But we actually ended up going up a different way than coming in, which suggests there are two paths down. When first starting the hike on the flat ground, the trail does make an obvious split. We descended the left path and returned on the right. I do not recall one being easier than the other. While the hike wasn't too difficult for us--I do see how it could be much much worse if the ground is wet and muddy, so do use caution if it's damp!

Upper Sorenson Creek Falls

The rest of the previous day was spent exploring Portland--leaving the 7th and final day to make the trek to Upper Sorenson Falls and possibly Tish Creek Falls as well. Unlike the previous two, I have successfully made it to these two waterfalls in the past, both on the way back from hiking to Twister Falls--and both done with a hiking partner who didn't feel like coming and gave me 45 minutes to do the bushwhacks. So this year, I was glad to have a partner to try the bushwhack with me and it was nice being able to take my time instead of run/stumble the entire way.

Unfortunately, the last day of our trip was the rainiest. With our previous days being 80 degrees and sunny (in April!) it was only fitting for at least one day to be rainy. The previous times I went to these falls were in dry whether--and boy does wet foliage and a constant supply of rain make these bushwhacks a lot more--morale draining!

We were the first folks at the trailhead that day and made it up to Sorenson Creek in record time. This was our second time on Eagle Creek this trip, as the 3rd day we made the trek up to Twister Falls, but didn't have time to bushwhack to Sorenson Falls on the way back. We started the bushwhack sticking to the south side of the creek, which turned out to be a bad idea since in no time at all we were eagerly searching for a place to cross the creek. I advise sliding across the large log to the north side as soon as the hike begins as that side of the creek, at least at the start, is easier. With everything being wet, it wasn't long until we too were soaked--even through our rain jacket. I apologize for the lack of details, as I was mostly focused on trudging along this hike than the others. There was many times where I said "I think once we go around this bend, we'll see it" only to see--well, nothing. However, we finally made it to the falls after about 40 minutes.

In the past, since I was rushed for time, I didn't have the chance to really photograph the falls, but this time I was able to take my time (even though it was quite cold once we stopped hiking). I was also happy to see that the log at the base of the falls had moved. Here are two pictures from similar locations, one from 2012 and another from 2015

Upper Sorenson Falls 2012

Upper Sorenson Falls 2015 (My hiking partner is at the base of the falls)

I crossed the stream and hiked up a small hill to get another perspective, but while making my way there I stumbled upon a lens hood in the creek! It's a BH-77B lens hood and I think it goes to a Tokin 11-16mm lens. I took it with me incase it was anyone's lens hood here. If so, let me know and I can mail it to you--it needs a home!

Upper Sorenson Falls 2015

These adventures wouldn't have been possible if it weren't for this awesome site and forum and I thank all of you who contribute and post stories of your adventures. I am on this site nearly every week looking for updates to try and plan my next trip. I will probably post a trip report on the rest of my trip on the appropriate forum, but in the spirit of off-trail exploring, here are a couple of popular waterfalls that I tried to photograph from different angles that required some scrambling and such.

Thank you all!

Lower Punchbowl Falls from the Base

The little upper tier of Tenas Falls

Upper McCord Creek Falls (Well, half of it!)

BrianEdwards

Re: Three Off Trail Hikes: McClellan, Sorenson, and Bridal V

Post by BrianEdwards » May 18th, 2015, 3:53 pm

Excellent photography work. The falls all have a very natural look in your photos. Nothing over processed. McClellan is something isn't it? Its just way down the hill from the road.
Clackamas River Waterfall Project - 95 Documented, 18 to go.

jdemott

Post by jdemott » May 18th, 2015, 3:55 pm

Beautiful photos! I really like the shot at Falls Creek Falls. It sounds like you did a lot of hiking in a short visit and had a great time. Thanks for sharing a great trip report.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » May 18th, 2015, 5:10 pm

Excellent photos. Thanks for the TR!

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Peder

Post by Peder » May 18th, 2015, 6:39 pm

Obviously there are lots of places in the Gorge I have never seen! Those pictures really makes me wish to visit these waterfalls (I almost did one of them earlier this year). If you need are partner or transport on your next pilgrimage, and should I be around, I would be happy to join forces. Just DO NOT count on my pictures, they are just absolute c&@p when compared to yours!
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Skarxun

Post by Skarxun » May 19th, 2015, 3:53 am

Thank you for all of the compliments and kind words, I am happy to hear that my photos are being enjoyed. The reason I am into photography as a hobby is because of the waterfalls of the northwest.
BrianEdwards wrote:The falls all have a very natural look in your photos. Nothing over processed.
Thank you for this Brian, this certainly means a lot coming from someone who has seen tons of waterfalls. I always fear my photos are the opposite, too unnatural and over processed, so it's good to hear the opposite! And yes, McClellan falls is indeed a lovely surprise. Also, two years ago you provided me with a ton of recommendations for waterfalls to visit in another forum post which was a major help--so thanks!
jdemott wrote:Beautiful photos! It sounds like you did a lot of hiking in a short visit and had a great time.
Yes indeed. Only have one week each year to make it out to Oregon so it turns into a full week of getting up at sunrise and returning back to the hotel at sunset and, of course, the soreness to go along with it!
Peder wrote:Those pictures really makes me wish to visit these waterfalls (I almost did one of them earlier this year). If you need are partner or transport on your next pilgrimage, and should I be around, I would be happy to join forces.
Thanks! I am very glad to hear you're inspired to go take the trek toward them. Each are a bit challenging in their own way, but as a not-very-experienced bushwhacker, I thought they were very doable. I will keep the offer in mind, it has always been a goal to join a hike with some locals who know the area well. I usually serve as the 'tour guide' on my trips, so it'd be nice to pass that torch to someone else.

CuriousGorge

Post by CuriousGorge » May 21st, 2015, 9:58 am

Great post! Nice to see all those beauties again....I think your photos look exquisite! Cheers, scott

Nicholas Lee

Post by Nicholas Lee » May 26th, 2015, 8:05 pm

Hey, first of all thanks for the excellent trip report with some good pictures to go along with it! And secondly, that's my lens hood!! I hiked up to Upper Sorenson Falls this past spring, and I realized only upon reaching Eagle Creek Trail again on the way out that I was missing my lens hood! :P I knew it had to be up there somewhere, but I never thought anybody would see it again, and even if they did the chances that they'd actually be able to reach me are crazy low! Just shows what a great community there is going on here. (Come to think of it, I actually first found out about this waterfall after seeing a trip report to it on this very site!)

Anyway, I'm glad you found it and I'll send you a private message with my shipping information. (And I'll be sure to reimburse you for whatever the shipping cost turns out to be.)

By the way, here's a photo that I took at the falls a little while before I left:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+NicholasLe ... 0729680523

runsfast2002

Post by runsfast2002 » May 12th, 2016, 3:36 pm

Hi there. I started waterfall chasing last year and have enjoyed many hours (well, mostly enjoyed them) bushwhacking in the gorge. Upper Bridal Veil is on the schedule for this weekend. Is it as steep a descent as I've read on other reports (as in, you need 400 feet of rope)? From your report, it sounds very doable with a bit of caution. Thanks.

Holly

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » May 12th, 2016, 10:36 pm

Skarxun wrote: The approach to the falls:

As usual, the pictures do not do the size of these falls justice. Continuing toward the falls (pictured above) leads to a moss covered slope that offers some good photo opportunities--though it is quite pristine so I avoided the temptation to scramble around it to get good photos. Instead, I wanted a down stream perspective. Now, as Bryan mentions on his site, the creek is guarded by devil's club--however, if you follow the faint path toward the creek, you will find a steep chute down that is free from the thorny plants. At the bottom is a long long that you can walk on to get some good pictures from. It is a bit skinny, so prepare yourself for awkward stances when balancing a tripod.

Downstream:

I was there around 2-4pm and the sun was in quite an unfortunate spot leaving the entire left side of the falls in harsh sunlight. As I was leaving, the sun was dipping below the tree line, so that may have been a better time to come for even light.

Before moving onto the next falls, here is a view of Falls Creek Falls, which we visited afterward. The scramble up to the middle tier (which I always just assumed was going to be very treacherous) wasn't bad at all and it's unfortunate that I never attempted it on my previous visits. I also made my way to the top their (which was a bit more challenging, and scary given the exposure at the very end) but I wasn't happy with how my pictures came out there--so here's the middle tier!

Falls Creek Falls:
Awesome photos! A lot of people seem to like to take waterfall pictures on overcast days but those rarely "do it" for me; I much prefer these! But it must have been hard to capture that dynamic range; well done.