Exploring old roads + more cars in Bridal Veil Creek Feb. 22

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
Don Nelsen

Re: Exploring old roads + more cars in Bridal Veil Creek Feb

Post by Don Nelsen » February 24th, 2014, 6:40 pm

aircooled wrote:Nice work, Don - and great to run into you on Saturday on the BV Plateau! With all these old cars to visit, I can see a new hike known as the "Tour de Coupe".

Great to see you too, and also all the Trails Club folks! "Tour de Coupe" :lol: I love it!

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » February 24th, 2014, 6:43 pm

VanMarmot wrote:Don - Between your TR and justpeachy's it seems like every abandoned and/or stolen car makes it way mysteriously to the BV Plateau. I like aircooled's "Tour de Coupe" Hike. Also Hiking with Hardtops on the BV Plateau or Don's Used Car and Hiking Emporium - You dump 'em, We hike 'em?
Bruce,

Excellent suggestions! I like them all - I think we are on a roll here. ;) This is a lot more fun than finding old steam-era logging remains.

dn

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

aircooled

Post by aircooled » February 25th, 2014, 11:05 am

Don Nelsen wrote: This is a lot more fun than finding old steam-era logging remains.

dn
So Payslee and Don, are waypoints available for all this auto erotica?

BTW "Gouge Car Limbo" is an anagram for "Columbia Gorge". Just sayin'

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » February 25th, 2014, 6:48 pm

aircooled wrote:
Don Nelsen wrote: This is a lot more fun than finding old steam-era logging remains.

dn
So Payslee and Don, are waypoints available for all this auto erotica?

BTW "Gouge Car Limbo" is an anagram for "Columbia Gorge". Just sayin'
Yep, waypoints available. Of course, you could show up at the AR TH at 10:30 this Thursday morning when I'll be heading back in there with the Mult. Co. sheriff to check this all out and you could get the guided tour.

dn

chameleon

Post by chameleon » February 26th, 2014, 1:22 am

That's sad to see (more cars).:( Tom, you know I for one am with you on the road closure. I know some people have homes up there, but at some point it would be nice to see that canyon restored and protected. It is a special place, not to mention that the stream is still (remarkably) home to the Gorge cutthroat trout.

arlohike

Post by arlohike » March 22nd, 2015, 6:04 pm

Don, I used your map above today to find the Bullet Car, which I'd never seen before. That was fun. I was also intrigued by the dotted black line that leads from that path straight West to a square on the map, but I didn't see anything that resembled a road or path in that vicinity. Does any path still exist, and what is the square that it leads to?
TrailCheck (iOS / Android)
Elevation Tracker (iOS / Apple Watch)

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » March 22nd, 2015, 6:46 pm

arlohike wrote:Don, I used your map above today to find the Bullet Car, which I'd never seen before. That was fun. I was also intrigued by the dotted black line that leads from that path straight West to a square on the map, but I didn't see anything that resembled a road or path in that vicinity. Does any path still exist, and what is the square that it leads to?
Hi arlohike,

Glad you had a good time finding the bullet car today! The dotted line is a barely recognizable old road grade that led to an old inholding in the national forest that seems to be no longer held. The dotted line shows the old road grade but is really difficult to follow now due to time and lots of salmonberry brush. I will surely lead a hike through there this summer so stay tuned. Also, there is an old grow operation there that needs to be cleaned up.

dn

arlohike

Post by arlohike » March 23rd, 2015, 8:00 am

Interesting, thanks. I'll watch for your guided hike.
TrailCheck (iOS / Android)
Elevation Tracker (iOS / Apple Watch)