2015-03-03 Gifford Peak and Red Mountain

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
Water

Re: 2015-03-03 Gifford Peak and Red Mountain

Post by Water » March 5th, 2015, 3:53 pm

ok, good to hear from two folks (Bobcat, nice to have met you at the meet&deet--the only person I was really able to chat with-wish we didn't have to rush out of there)
I'll take this off here but Peder would you mind me re-appropriating (and crediting) your picture on a new thread on here to at least highlight this--part of biker's not helping their cause is people being aware that bikers are already flaunting rules, imo.
Feel Free to Feel Free

Koda

Post by Koda » March 5th, 2015, 4:30 pm

the mt bike forum http://forums.mtbr.com/forum.php
not certain what the appropriate sub-forum would be either Washington or Advocacy...

if you did that let me know it would be interesting to lurk... Id be curious what the reaction would be.

I double dog dare you... :twisted: I would choose a different avatar though. ;)
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » March 5th, 2015, 5:07 pm

Hey Peder,

Great report and wish I knew you were up there Tuesday!! Both those peaks are on my to-do list and I was on Lone Butte while you were just a short distance away.

Red Mountain (the lookout topped peak to the right) from the summit of Lone Butte on Tuesday:

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Peder

Post by Peder » March 5th, 2015, 5:58 pm

Don Nelsen wrote:Great report and wish I knew you were up there Tuesday!! Both those peaks are on my to-do list and I was on Lone Butte while you were just a short distance away.
Don - We need to organize ourselves better... We were pretty much within shouting distance of each other! The conditions are great at the moment in Indian Heaven. Peder
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » March 5th, 2015, 6:16 pm

Peder wrote:
Don Nelsen wrote:Great report and wish I knew you were up there Tuesday!! Both those peaks are on my to-do list and I was on Lone Butte while you were just a short distance away.
Don - We need to organize ourselves better... We were pretty much within shouting distance of each other! The conditions are great at the moment in Indian Heaven. Peder
Yes, for sure! Organization is good. So, next week? I did a car camp and climbed Soda Peaks on Monday and Lone Butte and another un-named peak on Tuesday but there are so many more. I have 220 Skamania County peaks on the radar and time is short. What's your schedule look like?

dn

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Peder

Post by Peder » March 5th, 2015, 6:33 pm

I am booked till the 15th with my daughter home for spring break; so after that!
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » March 5th, 2015, 6:54 pm

Peder wrote:I am booked till the 15th with my daughter home for spring break; so after that!
Ok, let's hook up the week after. At present, the weather looks iffy that week but that could change. Let's stay in touch.

dn

mattisnotfrench

Post by mattisnotfrench » March 5th, 2015, 10:15 pm

Yay! I love this hike and I'm glad you made it there Peder. Beautiful pictures!
Author of Extraordinary Oregon!, PDX Hiking 365, 101 Hikes in the Majestic Mount Jefferson Region, and Off the Beaten Trail. Website: www.offthebeatentrailpdx.com

walkin62

Post by walkin62 » March 8th, 2015, 6:06 pm

I hiked up to Red Mtn yesterday taking the PCT north from Crest Camp. Trail is in great shape with just a couple blowdowns. It's snow free the first mile or so, and only about 50% covered to the junction with the Racetrack cut-off trail. Was a little slick in the morning, but nothing that required traction devices. The snow is melting fast with this weather - all the snow at the top of Red Mountain in your pics is gone. And as a side note, the PCT had bike tracks on it as well, but I will send a report to the local PCTA about that.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » March 8th, 2015, 6:20 pm

walkin62 wrote:I hiked up to Red Mtn yesterday taking the PCT north from Crest Camp. Trail is in great shape with just a couple blowdowns. It's snow free the first mile or so, and only about 50% covered to the junction with the Racetrack cut-off trail. Was a little slick in the morning, but nothing that required traction devices. The snow is melting fast with this weather - all the snow at the top of Red Mountain in your pics is gone. And as a side note, the PCT had bike tracks on it as well, but I will send a report to the local PCTA about that.

As I hiked the trail to Red Mountain today, three mountain bikers passed me heading up from the north side into the wilderness area. I was threatened with violence the last time I told mountain bikers they shouldn't be in a wilderness area so, since I was with Ardith, decided not to press it. Interesting how some of these folks do not respect the rules.