Home  •   Field Guide  •   Forums  •    Unread Posts  •   Maps  •   Find a Hike!
| Page | Discussion | View source | History | Print Friendly and PDF

Upper Coopey Falls

From Oregon Hikers Field Guide

Upper Coopey Falls (Steve Hart)
Coopey Creek Bridge (Steve Hart)

Contents

Description

Upper Coopey Falls is a small block flow on near the Angel's Rest Trail. A noteworthy patch of willow roots shows up in hot pink. A short, very dirty side trail leads to the base of the falls. Bring gloves to negotiate thick blackberry.

The Angel's Rest Trail crosses Coopey Creek on a small bridge just above the falls.

History

Coopey Creek is named for Charles Coopey, a Brisith born tailor who settled in Portland and was one of the founders of the Portland Woolen Mill in St. Johns. Coopey owned 1200 acres of land around Whakeena Falls, Multnomah Creek and Devil's Rest, which he called "Eagle Eyrie".

In the summer of 1915, Coopey gave permission for a portion of the Larch Mountain Trail to be built across land he owned. According to the Trails Club of Oregon, Coopey furnished the coffee for the first hike to Devil's Rest, done by the club in 1918.

Coopey had a vision of a textile village with an industry that would utilize the constant waterpower supply for spinning and weaving and the pure water of Wahkeena Falls (which he owned) for wool scouring. He also applied to the State Engineer in Salem for an application to appropriate water from Multnomah and Peterson Creeks for power development purposes. The cost of developing the power was estimated at $20,000.

In 1921, Coopey built a 20 horsepower generator on the creek to light a sign promoting Oregon 1925 Expostion. According to an article in the Oregonian newspaper, Coopey "conceived the idea of displaying the insignia of Oregon's brilliant exposition for all America by producing a truly hydro-electric sign bearing the figures "1925" right in front of his summer cottage where all can see as they motor swiftly by. The power that generates the motor from which the electricity is produced is taken from the falls at a point 60 feet below a dam that forms a beautiful silvery lake Just a few feet from the highway. This water is led to the powerhouse by means of a 12-inch pipe where a water wheel operates a 20-horsepower generator. From this plant 750 Incandescent lights can be produced 24 hours each day."

Before Coopey owned the property along the creek it was owned by the Luscher family. Walter R. Horton, who moved to Bridal Veil in 1889, recalls he and his friends used to call the creek Ben Luscher Creek.


Trip Reports

Related Discussions / Q&A

Guidebooks that cover this destination

  • Hiking Oregon's Geology, by Ellen Morris Bishop
  • Day Hike! Columbia Gorge, by Seabury Blair, Jr.
  • 60 Hikes within 60 Miles of Portland, by Paul Gerald
  • Afoot and Afield Portland/Vancouver, by Douglas Lorain
  • 35 Hiking Trails, Columbia River Gorge, by Don & Roberta Lowe
  • Columbia River Gorge, 42 Scenic Hikes, by Don & Roberta Lowe
  • Hiking the Columbia River Gorge - 1st and 2nd Editions, by Russ Schneider
  • 100 Hikes in Northwest Oregon - 3rd Edition, by William L Sullivan

More Links

Contributors

Oregon Hikers Field Guide is built as a collaborative effort by its user community. While we make every effort to fact-check, information found here should be considered anecdotal. You should cross-check against other references before planning a hike. Trail routing and conditions are subject to change. Please contact us if you notice errors on this page.

Hiking is a potentially risky activity, and the entire risk for users of this field guide is assumed by the user, and in no event shall Trailkeepers of Oregon be liable for any injury or damages suffered as a result of relying on content in this field guide. All content posted on the field guide becomes the property of Trailkeepers of Oregon, and may not be used without permission.