From Oregon Hikers Field Guide
- Hikes to this location:
- Latitude: 45.53271
- Longitude: -122.0878
- Maps: Portland Hikers Maps Google Maps
- Elevation: 4056 feet
Sherrard Point is the exposed volcanic conduit on the top of Larch Mountain. Once the site of a fire lookout, the pinnacle now hosts a fenced observation platform with views of five major volcanic peaks (Rainier, Adams, St Helens, Hood and Jefferson) as well as the Columbia River and scores of lesser summits. It's reachable via a 0.3 mile long paved path (with stairs) or as the climax of a 7.2 mile trek up from the Columbia River at Multnomah Falls.
A nice feature of the viewpoint are stone slabs marking distances to the volcanic peaks.
The road to the upper trailhead is closed (by gate) during the winter months
- Search Trip Reports for Sherrard Point
Related Discussions / Q&A
- Search Trail Q&A for Sherrard Point
Guidebooks that cover this destination
- Hiking Oregon's Geology, by Ellen Morris Bishop
- Day Hike! Columbia Gorge, by Seabury Blair, Jr.
- Afoot and Afield Portland/Vancouver, by Douglas Lorain
- 35 Hiking Trails, Columbia River Gorge, by Don & Roberta Lowe
- Columbia River Gorge, 42 Scenic Hikes, by Don & Roberta Lowe
- Hiking the Columbia River Gorge - 1st and 2nd Editions, by Russ Schneider
- 100 Hikes in Northwest Oregon - 3rd Edition, by William L Sullivan
- User:stevefromdodge (creator)