Opal Creek Trailhead
From Oregon Hikers Field Guide
- Latitude: 44.85980
- Longitude: -122.26460
- Maps: Portland Hikers Maps Google Maps
- Elevation: 1900 feet
- Driving time from Portland: 105 minutes
Hikes starting here
- Opal Pool-Cedar Flats Hike (TH | <-- --> | LOG)
- Jawbone Flats Hike (TH | <-- --> | LOG)
- Stony Creek Hike (TH | <-- --> | LOG)
- Whetstone Mountain-Battle Ax Creek Loop Hike (TH | <-- --> | LOG)
Fees and Regulations
- Northwest Forest Pass required.
Drive I-5 south through Salem and take Exit 253 for Highway 22, Detroit Lake, and Bend.
After making the exit turn left onto Highway 22. Drive 22.3 miles and turn left onto North Fork Road for the Elkhorn Recreation Area.
Go 15.4 miles and keep left at a junction where the road changes from pavement to gravel and becomes FR 2209. Here you enter the Opal Creek Scenic Recreation Area.
After 1.3 miles, keep left at the junction with FR 2207.
Drive another 4.3 miles to the large trailhead parking area.