Home  •   Field Guide  •   Forums  •    Unread Posts  •   Maps  •   Find a Hike!
| Page | Discussion | View source | History | Print Friendly and PDF

Crawford Ranch

From Oregon Hikers Field Guide

The John Crawford House (bobcat)
The Crawford family cemetery (bobcat)
Hay mower, Crawford Ranch (bobcat)

Description

The complex of buildings here is the heart of the Dalles Mountain Ranch, originally the Crawford Ranch (1878-1935). William N. Crawford and his wife, Julia, from Ohio, were the original settlers. They filed a homestead claim in 1877 and built the old barn and corral south of the road in 1878. They came with two sons and a daughter and later had two more children. William Crawford and three of his children are buried in a family cemetery here.

At the junction with the Stacker Butte Road, there’s the ranch welcome sign, a wagon placed there by the last owners, the Bleakneys (1975-1993). It was the Bleakneys who renamed the property the Dalles Mountain Ranch. The 1905 John Crawford House is above the road. Eightmile Creek, east of the house, is densely wooded here with white poplars and bitter cherry bushes, all hiding a collapsing chicken coop. The pond provided water for an orchard of apples, apricots, and peaches.

Above the cemetery is an outdoor museum displaying old farm equipment. Please obey all signs and keep out of buildings.

Links


Contributors

Oregon Hikers Field Guide is built as a collaborative effort by its user community. While we make every effort to fact-check, information found here should be considered anecdotal. You should cross-check against other references before planning a hike. Trail routing and conditions are subject to change. Please contact us if you notice errors on this page.

Hiking is a potentially risky activity, and the entire risk for users of this field guide is assumed by the user, and in no event shall Trailkeepers of Oregon be liable for any injury or damages suffered as a result of relying on content in this field guide. All content posted on the field guide becomes the property of Trailkeepers of Oregon, and may not be used without permission.