Clatsop Loop Hike
From Oregon Hikers Field Guide
- Start point: Indian Beach Trailhead, Ecola State Park
- End point: Hikers Camp
- Trail Log:
- Hike Type: Loop
- Distance: 3 miles
- Elevation gain: 700 feet
- Difficulty: Easy
- Seasons: All
- Family Friendly: Yes
- Backpackable: Yes
- Crowded: Only on summer weekends
Take the kids along on this hike through a forest of big trees to visit some World War II bunkers and a viewpoint of the Tillamook Rock Light.
The trail begins behind the restrooms and is well signed. First, however, walk about 50 to 75 yards from the vault toilet, parallel with Canyon Creek, and you can find an opening in the brush to a slight descent leading to a very pretty small waterfall.To begin the loop for the main hike, head straight up on the gravel service road. The footbridge you see on the left will be your return trip.
Although the ascent on the gravel road does not give the spectacular ocean vistas, you will get a birds eye view into the canopy of this maturing coastal forest. Most of Tillamook Head was logged 100-150 years ago, however some giants do remain.
After almost a mile and half, your path flattens out, and a trail crosses the road. If you want to add some mileage, you can turn right on the trail and head to the summit of Tillamook head, another mile and half through the forested ridgetop. Before turning back, be sure to head past the Hikers Camp, to the viewpoint of Tillamook Rock Light.
Once you are ready to head down, find your return trail behind the outhouse. This portion of the trail can become very overgrown in the summer, but offers several spectacular viewpoints of Indian Beach and postcard views of the Cannon Beach seastacks.
Sky Island Graphics: Oregon Coast Area Trails
Regulations or Restrictions, etc.
- Ecola State Park has a fee of $5 per day.
- Search Trip Reports for Clatsop Loop Hike
Related Discussions / Q&A
- Search Trail Q&A for Clatsop Loop Hike
Guidebooks that cover this hike
- I Heart Oregon (& Washington) by Lisa D. Holmes
- Best Easy Day Hikes: Oregon Coast by Lizann Dungeon
- Exploring the Oregon Coast Trail by Connie Soper
- 120 Hikes on the Oregon Coast by Bonnie Henderson
- Day Hiking: Oregon Coast by Bonnie Henderson
- Best Short Hikes in Northwest Oregon by Rhonda & George Ostertag
- 100 Hikes/Travel Guide: Oregon Coast and Coast Range by William L. Sullivan
- A Walking Guide to Oregon's Ancient Forests by Wendell Wood
- Best Hikes With Kids: Oregon by Bonnie Henderson
- Canine Oregon by Lizann Dunegan
- Oregon Coast Hikes by Paul M. Williams
- Oregon: The Creaky Knees Guide by Seabury Blair, Jr.
- 100 Classic Hikes in Oregon by Douglas Lorain
- Hiking the Oregon Coast by Lizann Dunegan
- 50 Hikes in Oregon by David L. Anderson
- Oregon Coast Trail: Hiking Inn to Inn by Jack D. Remington
- Hiking Oregon by Lizann Dunegan
- A Hiker's Guide to the Oregon Coast Trail by David E.M. Bucy & Mary C. McCauley
- Oregon State Parks: A Complete Recreation Guide by Jan Bannan
- Brochure for the trail markers along this hike
- The Story of Tillamook Rock Lighthouse
- Close-up photo of the lighthouse taken in 2006 by Michael Cruson
- Recent History of the lighthouse
- CFM (creator)